• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New Romeo and juliets incoming?

now that you mentioned that... the hammerstem and overall shape/ratio of the orbitals look off on this picture for the Romeo too! maybe better in person but in this picture they almost look like a REALLY REALLY good fake.

View attachment 843247
Now we have to question whether those were really fakes or just protos....

they were the final release pairs, they have pix showing serials.
No one has a touch of sarcasm today. It was a joke about the previously thought fake oakleys that they could of been real not numbered prototypes...

I don't know why this release bothers me so much but it does:D. I really feel that Oakley has missed the mark with this one and it just stinks of a blatant money grab in the guise of charity which you do the donation and they can claim the tax deduction. If they wanted to justify a 14k price tag then the coin should have been gold or some other precious metal, the box could have been an original x metal vault design or at the very least an elite box type made of wood and the glasses could have better etching of serials. i would really really like to be proven wrong but i think that all that will happen is we will see 1 or 2 sets on ebay in a week for 25k and every person with an old x metal in their "drawer that they found after 20 years" is now going to expect $1500 for a beater juliet and $5000 for a Romeo which is just going to make them even more unreachable for the average collector.

No one has a touch of sarcasm today. It was a joke about the previously thought fake oakleys that they could of been real not numbered prototypes...
I thought you meant the ones they photographed because the look off. the nosebridge gaps in the Juliets, the hammerstems and flat OG nosebomb design in the Romeos. I mean for supposedly taking 2 years to figure out how to remake something already made, i don't see the improvement or design benefit for citing being designed that long. I guess it is less insulting than adding aluminum to plastic and calling it xmetal =)

23532541281_0f9e24c8eb_o.jpg

Last edited:
When I messaged Brian T. at the O about how they managed to 3D print these... he responded with it wasn't very easy... Like the release said takes years... However, I knew they were working on some sort of 3D printing process for frames for at least 2-3 years. They had a demo at HQ where they printed a pair of Holbrooks then the finished sample looked really good. Also, it looks like the O made 15 and one is slated for MJ and it's got special markings too... Even the Coin is marked. Also, if the Make 15. They sell all 14 for 14k that's 196k of which 140k is going to the charity. I think I remember them saying once sometime or another that their setup costs can be about roughly 36-50k... granted with 3D printing it could possibly be much lower because we aren't sure what molding is involved. Chances are Jordan gets a free one cause he was a Board Member back during the original time period.

But I am so interested in the process in which they managed to precision make X-Metals.... Hoping that also means they used this as an opportunity to remanufacture parts to supply warranty on these frames...

Good read, so spare parts like rubbers, lenses, should not be far fetched.......
I mean if you see what Aston Martin is doing remaking brand new DB5 Goldfinger editions... they said all the parts that they are remanufacturing is going towards potential DB5 Restorations so... I mean if the O needed a small run of these parts maybe they made extra to get the cost down... on the small bits and figured people still would need the parts eventually... just my thought.