• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New to oakleys and wanting advice on lenses

Stitch666

Oakley Beginner
Hi, new to Oakley sunglasses having worn cheap pairs for the last 20 years or so. I thought I would order some online to see what I think and I have some confusion. So far I have tried the following and these are my thoughts so any advice or extra information would be appreciated.

All of these are sliver frames.

Sliver violet iridium polarised - I bought these as I wanted to check out the polarisation and check I could see my car dash. The polarisation was fine, and I really liked the look of the lens from the outside. However, compared with the others it seemed to have a yellow tint to everything and I was drawn to prism. I’ve sent them back.

Sliver prizm black iridium (OO9262-4657). These looked more natural through the lens (albeit a bit boring from the outside) however I decided that I wanted polarised at this point so whilst looking for a polarised pair I contacted a glasses shop who also suggested to try the Sliver Polarized prizm daily (OO9262-07).

It’s been a bit overcast recently but we have had some periods of sun. To my eyes the black iridium lens seems to show off more contrast (not sure if this is the right word). By this I mean the greens in trees and the grass seem greener than the prizm daily. Is this due to the black iridium being ever so slightly (I can barely notice) darker? Or is it something to do with polarised layer on the prizm daily causing a slight contrast reduction. If that’s the case I’m a bit confused now as to whether I want Polarized if it leads to a reduction in contrast. As far as ‘darkness’ is concerned I’ve heard that the prizm black can be too dark in some places, however comparing these two lenses the difference is brightness is so negligible it hardly makes any difference.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Prizm Black is indeed a "contrast" lens as you've found, (boosting green) but that's a result of its Prizm Universal base lens, not the black iridium coating.
Standard Black iridium (a Grey base lens) renders a "neutral" view.
Polarization has no affect on viewed colour.
The BEST info is here:
O-Review

Prizm Black is indeed a "contrast" lens as you've found, (boosting green) but that's a result of its Prizm Universal base lens, not the black iridium coating.
Standard Black iridium (a Grey base lens) renders a "neutral" view.
Polarization has no affect on viewed colour.
The BEST info is here:
O-Review
Thanks for the reply and I’ll check out the link. The prizm daily is also a contrast lens but the greens don’t pop anywhere as near as the prizm black, hence I was wondering if the difference was one was polarised and one wasn’t.

I think the Prizm daily is a different base than Prizm universal according to that O-Review info. Maybe a tint thing according to this. If Prizm is selectively affecting some wavelengths then I guess different "bases" of Prizm may have different spectra, hence different "contrasting effect"
Like above, polarized is only for filtering particular planes of light through the lens. It should affect all wavelengths similarly.

Hi, new to Oakley sunglasses having worn cheap pairs for the last 20 years or so. I thought I would order some online to see what I think and I have some confusion. So far I have tried the following and these are my thoughts so any advice or extra information would be appreciated.

All of these are sliver frames.

Sliver violet iridium polarised - I bought these as I wanted to check out the polarisation and check I could see my car dash. The polarisation was fine, and I really liked the look of the lens from the outside. However, compared with the others it seemed to have a yellow tint to everything and I was drawn to prism. I’ve sent them back.

Sliver prizm black iridium (OO9262-4657). These looked more natural through the lens (albeit a bit boring from the outside) however I decided that I wanted polarised at this point so whilst looking for a polarised pair I contacted a glasses shop who also suggested to try the Sliver Polarized prizm daily (OO9262-07).

It’s been a bit overcast recently but we have had some periods of sun. To my eyes the black iridium lens seems to show off more contrast (not sure if this is the right word). By this I mean the greens in trees and the grass seem greener than the prizm daily. Is this due to the black iridium being ever so slightly (I can barely notice) darker? Or is it something to do with polarised layer on the prizm daily causing a slight contrast reduction. If that’s the case I’m a bit confused now as to whether I want Polarized if it leads to a reduction in contrast. As far as ‘darkness’ is concerned I’ve heard that the prizm black can be too dark in some places, however comparing these two lenses the difference is brightness is so negligible it hardly makes any difference.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

The only lenses I’ve ever know to be “too dark” are the ones that were put in the eclipse sunglasses.

I think the Prizm daily is a different base than Prizm universal according to that O-Review info. Maybe a tint thing according to this. If Prizm is selectively affecting some wavelengths then I guess different "bases" of Prizm may have different spectra, hence different "contrasting effect"
Like above, polarized is only for filtering particular planes of light through the lens. It should affect all wavelengths similarly.
Thanks for your reply. I think you are right.

The prizm daily I bought from you on your website says it has a dark rose base, where as the prizm black I have is a grey base. For some reason all the other frames on Oakleys website (they don’t list sliver prism polarised daily) with the prizm daily lens says it is a grey base. So perhaps it is possible the shops website is wrong (rxsports in UK) or inhave an older model (or different model) which have a dark rose base instead of grey base. I wonder if that is what is causing a difference in contrast to the grey bases favour?

The only lenses I’ve ever know to be “too dark” are the ones that were put in the eclipse sunglasses.
Yeah I think you are right. I spoke to a few shops and they all said don’t get the prizm black as they’ll be too dark for dead up getting them anywhere to compare with the prizm daily which was recommended so much and the difference is negligible. I’ll pribably end up picking up a pair of prizm black iridium Polarized.

Latest Posts

Back