• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley photochromic = Transitions GEN 8?

fanatic278

Oakley Beginner
Anyone got insider knowledge as to whether Oakley prescription photochromic is exactly the same as Transitions GEN 8? I like the sound of Transition GEN 8 reaction times, darkness and longevity, but like the look of the Oakley Iridium mirror finish. I'd only go with the Oakley Iridium if I know I'm not compromising on the photochromic performance though.

My suspicion that Oakley Photochromic = Transition GEN 8 got raised originally when I saw the in-store official Oakley order form at my local opticians that list all the photochromic options under a heading that states "Transitions", which is the specific brand name, although could also just be shorthand for photochromic. I just had a cryptic online chat with one of the major online glasses sellers where they said that "both Oakley and our lab use Transition Gen 8 lenses", but they then started backtracking...

Upon doing a bit of detective work, it seems Oakley and Transitions are both owned by EssilorLuxottica. So I guess it would be pointless for Oakley to use a different photochromic lens when they have the world leading brand in-house. This isn't a definitive answer, but seems logical.

I would not bet on those Oakley photo lenses you want, have that tech in them, you need to ask many people to be sure.

also. from their website:
9 out of 10* people declare they are sensitive to light ..... uhm yeah, i would like to know how exactly that question was asked! because that sounds weird.

Take a walk in the summertime, and only around 40% of people wear sunglasses........ and "sensitivity to light" ? that is a whole other level!

Nonsense statements like that undermines the credibility of the whole thing imo

Transitions® Signature® GEN 8™

Last edited:
Well, after more research I am none the wiser. I tried on some non-prescription photochromic glasses at Sunglasses Hut and the Iridium coating was barely noticeable (when darkened or transparent). I went into an opticians and they demonstrated the Transition Gen 8 lenses under UV light box and the colour was much darker and less rose coloured than the Oakleys (see photo of the round sample lens).

I’m going to go with Transition Gen 8 lenses I think. They seemed darker and are definitely cheaper.
19A00AB6-E988-44E8-8140-2527CF6FE14B.jpeg

614110B3-193C-4624-AF03-18D892CE88E1.jpeg

Well, after more research I am none the wiser. I tried on some non-prescription photochromic glasses at Sunglasses Hut and the Iridium coating was barely noticeable (when darkened or transparent). I went into an opticians and they demonstrated the Transition Gen 8 lenses under UV light box and the colour was much darker and less rose coloured than the Oakleys (see photo of the round sample lens). I then got some photos from an online shop that showed a more grey tint, but still not much of a mirror finish.

I’m going to go with Transition Gen 8 lenses I think. They seemed darker and are definitely cheaper.
View attachment 880740

View attachment 880739
You are right about the iridium, it is hardly noticeable. when the photochromic lens is darkest it reminds me more of grey lens than black iridium.

I put my Oakleys to the test for 28 hours driving in bright sunny daylight and at night, heavy rain and low visibility. I can report I had no head soreness behind my ears for the first time ever. I didn’t have any eye strain or redness wearing them for that period of time. Many claim the Transitions don’t change behind the windshield and I agree however Oakley as done something to limit the glare because I wore them all day driving and didn’t squint like I would have if I was wearing my Nike.

I would put my money on Oakley/Lux each and every time when it comes to eye technology. Do not get caught up in how fast the lens can change or all the special colors. Look at your Rx and see if that company can correct your vision like Oakley does.

I put my Oakleys to the test for 28 hours driving in bright sunny daylight and at night, heavy rain and low visibility. I can report I had no head soreness behind my ears for the first time ever. I didn’t have any eye strain or redness wearing them for that period of time. Many claim the Transitions don’t change behind the windshield and I agree however Oakley as done something to limit the glare because I wore them all day driving and didn’t squint like I would have if I was wearing my Nike.
I would put my money on Oakley/Lux each and every time when it comes to eye technology. Do not get caught up in how fast the lens can change or all the special colors. Look at your Rx and see if that company can correct your vision like Oakley does.
Rudy Project have Oakley beat by a mile when it comes to photochromatic lenses ......... their new impactx 2 lenses also react to UV indoors/inside a vehicle

They must be reacting to light itself then, not UV.
Could be, although windows do not stop all damaging rays ..... that is why your furniture will fade over time if sunlight hits it.

so these lenses could still be reacting to uva-uvb rays

According to the same study, yes, all types of glasses they tested blocked UVB rays. So, yes, windows do block UV rays, but only the UVB kind. Bare glass windows still allow up to three-quarters of UVA radiation. Meaning, your untreated windows still expose you to skin-damaging, even cancer-causing UVA rays.

:oops:

Last edited:
I’m not understanding how this relates to them having Oakley beat by a mile if the only difference is they darken behind the window?

Does this company correct your previous prescription to customize your quality of vision? I’ll wait

Latest Posts

Back