• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Romeo 1's and Michael Jordan - The Real Story

oneonz

I should Work at Oakley
It's answer from Scott Bowers himself in o-review
(I paste word here and link down)

" To answer the Romeo questions.

The launch party for X Metal was bad ass. We had it in the unfinished lobby of 1 Icon. The building was far from completion and the lobby was still exposed to the elements. It was raining the night of the party so the ambience was really cool. For your question if someone offered $1500 for the Romeo, it could have happened but I don't recall it being a highlight. We were constantly offered $$$ for early (and numbered) versions.

Beginning with Mumbo Jim would take, I'm guessing here, about the first 100 pairs directly off the production line and number each one in sequence. He would then give the early employees a numbered pair based on what number hired you were. He would also take several numbered pairs and archive them. Again, I can't recall how many were numbered, gifted and archived. I'm sure the number increased as we grew. However, Jim did not do that forever and I'm trying to remember when he stopped. I want to think Romeo might have been the last style that was numbered and gifted to employees.

For Romeo, I can't recall the sequenced numbered or the amount of Vaults were given to employees and friends of the company. I'm going to guess around 100-150. As you mention those pairs were placed in the large Vault and had a 4 digit serial number engraved in a plate. They were sequenced exact to being manufactured and not randomly pulled. 0001, 0002, etc.

All of the numbered and vaulted pairs came with Red socks, nose bombs and hinge bumpers. I can say that the red rubber color had nothing to do with Michael Jordan. I have had read for several years the reference to a Michael Jordan edition, but unless Jim had an inside story with MJ there wasn't any correlation.

As well with the red rubber socks, nose bombs and bumpers the only ones I recall having them were the numbered and vaulted pairs. My memory may be failing me, but I do not recall actively selling any with red rubber. Can anyone validate that they were actually sold to retail?

To note, Romeo did not sell fast in the beginning. It took a year or two and the compliments of Juliet before they really moved. I remember Jim nailing the sales guys for being wimps to not be selling more. X Metal was also a big departure both from what was expected from Oakley and also the optical industry. X Metal was crazy different and common with Oakley's most innovative and longest selling styles it took a year or two before they really got traction. So when you are talking early "limited" quantities of 5000 and another 9000 that seems very high to me and tells me the story isn't true.

For naming, Romeo was always the name that I recall and Jim's cigars had the influence. At the development stage I recall X Metal 1 as the internal name. I don't recall Oscar or Tiffany at all, so I would love to hear of the origin story you know. Those names do seem to have my recall for watches, but not X Metal. That's not to say they weren't' on Jim's radar. In those days Jim did the naming and the names were held closely up until we started getting close to production.

Scott "

Bazooka

Last edited:
It's answer from Scott Bowers in o-review
(I paste word here and link down)

" To answer the Romeo questions.

The launch party for X Metal was bad ass. We had it in the unfinished lobby of 1 Icon. The building was far from completion and the lobby was still exposed to the elements. It was raining the night of the party so the ambience was really cool. For your question if someone offered $1500 for the Romeo, it could have happened but I don't recall it being a highlight. We were constantly offered $$$ for early (and numbered) versions.

Beginning with Mumbo Jim would take, I'm guessing here, about the first 100 pairs directly off the production line and number each one in sequence. He would then give the early employees a numbered pair based on what number hired you were. He would also take several numbered pairs and archive them. Again, I can't recall how many were numbered, gifted and archived. I'm sure the number increased as we grew. However, Jim did not do that forever and I'm trying to remember when he stopped. I want to think Romeo might have been the last style that was numbered and gifted to employees.

For Romeo, I can't recall the sequenced numbered or the amount of Vaults were given to employees and friends of the company. I'm going to guess around 100-150. As you mention those pairs were placed in the large Vault and had a 4 digit serial number engraved in a plate. They were sequenced exact to being manufactured and not randomly pulled. 0001, 0002, etc.

All of the numbered and vaulted pairs came with Red socks, nose bombs and hinge bumpers. I can say that the red rubber color had nothing to do with Michael Jordan. I have had read for several years the reference to a Michael Jordan edition, but unless Jim had an inside story with MJ there wasn't any correlation.

As well with the red rubber socks, nose bombs and bumpers the only ones I recall having them were the numbered and vaulted pairs. My memory may be failing me, but I do not recall actively selling any with red rubber. Can anyone validate that they were actually sold to retail?

To note, Romeo did not sell fast in the beginning. It took a year or two and the compliments of Juliet before they really moved. I remember Jim nailing the sales guys for being wimps to not be selling more. X Metal was also a big departure both from what was expected from Oakley and also the optical industry. X Metal was crazy different and common with Oakley's most innovative and longest selling styles it took a year or two before they really got traction. So when you are talking early "limited" quantities of 5000 and another 9000 that seems very high to me and tells me the story isn't true.

For naming, Romeo was always the name that I recall and Jim's cigars had the influence. At the development stage I recall X Metal 1 as the internal name. I don't recall Oscar or Tiffany at all, so I would love to hear of the origin story you know. Those names do seem to have my recall for watches, but not X Metal. That's not to say they weren't' on Jim's radar. In those days Jim did the naming and the names were held closely up until we started getting close to production.

Scott "

Bazooka
Thanks for sharing this. It is fantastic! Love the inside story!!!!!

Love the story and, thanks for sharing. Although, Jordan is still the GOAT, and I will still wear R1. ;):assassin:

Kinda long but a friend who was a long time employee showed me this this article from 1996.

IRVINE, Calif., Dec. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- Oakley, Inc. (NYSE: 00) announced today that it previewed the first model in its upcoming "X Metal" line, named "Oscar," last night to athletes and personalities who will be involved in marketing the product. The event took place at the company's soon-to-be- completed new headquarters in Foothill Ranch, California. Among the 350 guests were beach volleyball star and model Gabrielle Reese, world snowboard champion Terje Haakonsen, world surf champion Taylor Knox, NBA basketball players Sean Elliot of the San Antonio Spurs and Bo Outlaw of the LA Clippers, major league baseball players Tony Gwynn and Jason Giambi and 1996 Olympic medalists Kent Steffes, Allen Johnson, Kim Batten, Ato Boldon and Inger Miller.

"Last night's event was a successful combination of the core culture and technology that makes Oakley unique and distinguishes our products," said Jim Jannard, chairman and president of Oakley. "It is very encouraging to see our athletes and friends as excited as I am with "Oscar," seeing for the first time the physics of Oakley's technology wrapped in sculpture and topped with art," Jannard added.

The preview of "Oscar" was the first phase of the company's carefully orchestrated release of "X Metal." Beginning next week and over the next two months, Oakley will show "X Metal" to its most influential retail accounts, work with athletes and personalities to gain editorial exposure and begin to create marketing materials for "X Metal" and "0scar." The company indicated that "0scar"'s suggested retail price in the domestic market would be $250.

"Allowing time for finishing refinements to our design process and completion of engineering, we conservatively expect "Oscar" to be available in stores by the end of February, well before the spring selling season," said Jannard. "In fact, because I am so confident that we will complete and ship "Oscar" by the end of February, I have advised the company I will voluntarily forfeit my 1996 incentive bonus of approximately $1.0 million if "Oscar" does not ship by that date." Jannard added, "The company is also very pleased with its early success in producing "X Metal" parts, using a revolutionary process for metal eyewear, in the Nevada facility. This vertical integration in manufacturing is expected to have a positive impact on the company's already enviable gross margins."

The company also reported that at last night's event there was excitement at the surprise unveiling of Oakley's new "Racing Jacket," a sport-application model from the "Jacket" line. The "Racing Jacket" is characterized by a stronger hingeless frame, is more aerodynamic, sleeker and faster in design than current "Jackets" and draws on the performance features developed for the "Pro M Frame." The company expects to ship these new models by the middle of the first quarter of 1997. The "Racing Jacket" follows the recently released "Pro M Frame" and the new "Frogskin," which just began shipping today, creating excitement in the market for the new and distinctive Oakley product offerings.

Oakley is an innovation-driven designer, manufacturer and distributor of high-performance eyewear.

SOURCE Oakley, Inc.
-0- 12/12/96

Kinda long but a friend who was a long time employee showed me this this article from 1996.

IRVINE, Calif., Dec. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- Oakley, Inc. (NYSE: 00) announced today that it previewed the first model in its upcoming "X Metal" line, named "Oscar," last night to athletes and personalities who will be involved in marketing the product. The event took place at the company's soon-to-be- completed new headquarters in Foothill Ranch, California. Among the 350 guests were beach volleyball star and model Gabrielle Reese, world snowboard champion Terje Haakonsen, world surf champion Taylor Knox, NBA basketball players Sean Elliot of the San Antonio Spurs and Bo Outlaw of the LA Clippers, major league baseball players Tony Gwynn and Jason Giambi and 1996 Olympic medalists Kent Steffes, Allen Johnson, Kim Batten, Ato Boldon and Inger Miller.

"Last night's event was a successful combination of the core culture and technology that makes Oakley unique and distinguishes our products," said Jim Jannard, chairman and president of Oakley. "It is very encouraging to see our athletes and friends as excited as I am with "Oscar," seeing for the first time the physics of Oakley's technology wrapped in sculpture and topped with art," Jannard added.

The preview of "Oscar" was the first phase of the company's carefully orchestrated release of "X Metal." Beginning next week and over the next two months, Oakley will show "X Metal" to its most influential retail accounts, work with athletes and personalities to gain editorial exposure and begin to create marketing materials for "X Metal" and "0scar." The company indicated that "0scar"'s suggested retail price in the domestic market would be $250.

"Allowing time for finishing refinements to our design process and completion of engineering, we conservatively expect "Oscar" to be available in stores by the end of February, well before the spring selling season," said Jannard. "In fact, because I am so confident that we will complete and ship "Oscar" by the end of February, I have advised the company I will voluntarily forfeit my 1996 incentive bonus of approximately $1.0 million if "Oscar" does not ship by that date." Jannard added, "The company is also very pleased with its early success in producing "X Metal" parts, using a revolutionary process for metal eyewear, in the Nevada facility. This vertical integration in manufacturing is expected to have a positive impact on the company's already enviable gross margins."

The company also reported that at last night's event there was excitement at the surprise unveiling of Oakley's new "Racing Jacket," a sport-application model from the "Jacket" line. The "Racing Jacket" is characterized by a stronger hingeless frame, is more aerodynamic, sleeker and faster in design than current "Jackets" and draws on the performance features developed for the "Pro M Frame." The company expects to ship these new models by the middle of the first quarter of 1997. The "Racing Jacket" follows the recently released "Pro M Frame" and the new "Frogskin," which just began shipping today, creating excitement in the market for the new and distinctive Oakley product offerings.

Oakley is an innovation-driven designer, manufacturer and distributor of high-performance eyewear.

SOURCE Oakley, Inc.
-0- 12/12/96
Very nice read! The more information on the X-Metal line makes me want to get more!
I started with an X-Metal XX brand new out of the box in 2003. My friends thought I was nuts dropping $275.00 USD for a pair of shades. fourteen years later, I could pass them off as BNIB. That's how nice I've kept them. I do not display my gear I wear it. It's functional artwork.
I came across a pair of Polished Juliets that were jacked up & I restored them to new condition.
On ebay I hooked a nice pair of Carbon Juliets.
They had a few minor wear scratches on the orbital bottoms.
Then came the R-1 Titanium finish...an ebay shootout in the final seconds.....SCORE.
Only thing that hurt was the $543.00 USD but they're very cool looking. I replaced the original lenses w/custom cut Oakley Jade Iridium lenses. They look pretty nice.

Thanks for all the help forum members

If y'all notice, Scott said the first 100-150 R1s that came in those big ass vaults also came with red nose bombs and t shox.

Look around O-Review. He has posted a ton of good info.

Latest Posts

Back