• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
Great review, Rustpot.
How do the Alpha lenses compare to the Heater lenses?
Also, will any rubber sock fit the stem in case the fit is too loose?

Oakley stores seem to have the M Frame 2, but not the Alpha or even the 3 in stock.

Also, will any rubber sock fit the stem in case the fit is too loose?

On this particular note, I'd say Radarlock or Jawbone socks will fit on. They are of the narrowest and simplest designs so at most you just need some patience in working them on carefully.

Will look a little...bootleg, but do it can be a functional improvement for whoever needs it.

The Alpha is pretty good. Not as much lower reach and cheek seal, but tons of peripheral to the outsides, where the heaters only shortcoming is.

075dedf38123ae982802f927cf67ccc3.jpg

Can't comment on rubber. But I will say the Alpha won't replace my 3.0 anytime soon. The nosepiece I'd say is too hard for a long wear, and the frame feels very front heavy and a bit chunky.

The Alpha is pretty good. Not as much lower reach and cheek seal, but tons of peripheral to the outsides, where the heaters only shortcoming is.

Wow, many thanks so much to both Rustpot and Ventruck!!

The Alphas seem to be as close as I'll find to replacing my Heater frames, which offered the best coverage I could find in a "bottom & side frameless" design. (The tall lens let little light through in the bottom, none on top and minimal on the side.) Since the Alphas are not as tall as the Heaters, are there any others you think match the Heaters in overall coverage better than the Alphas. (From what I can tell, the M Frame 3 offers considerably less coverage.)

The M Frame 3.0 uses the Agro lens, which is an extended Strike. The lower edge of the lens is a bit longer, but not by much and not nearly as much as the Heater.

I would recommend trying the Radar Range, I didn't find it quite as good, and the Radar frame has peripheral encroachment for me.

But if you were happy with the heater, why not get another?

The M Frame 3.0 uses the Agro lens, which is an extended Strike. The lower edge of the lens is a bit longer, but not by much and not nearly as much as the Heater.
I would recommend trying the Radar Range, I didn't find it quite as good, and the Radar frame has peripheral encroachment for me.
But if you were happy with the heater, why not get another?
Many thanks yet again for all the great info!

In height, it seems Heater>3.0>Alpha?

It's been tough to find an authentic Heater in a non-museum piece price range. Oakley doesn't seem to sell the lenses, so authenticity and version problems are hurdles. I'd be expecially concerned about UV issues with non-OEM lenses.

On my original model, both the lens and a stem are cracked.
Can you tell which version this is or which version lenses I need?
What non-OEM lens source is reliable for UV?

IMG_7140.JPG

Thanks for the Radar Range suggestion. I'll look into those. (I think I was told the Radar XL height was comparable to the Heaters, but ran into the authenticity problem.)

Radar XL comes close, but the bulk of the "XL" is north of the nose, dealing with the Radar's lower brow height and the frame being in the way when looking up, such as when in a tucked riding position. The Radar XL were originally marketed as the "XL Blade" as the lens more closely mimicked the squared off shape of the Blade family (Blade, Razor Blade) which gave the lens a bit more lower coverage than a Pitch lens, but still doesn't have the lower reach of the Range or Heater. The Radarlock dropped the Range lens and the Radarlock XL lens profile is pretty similar to the Pitch, lacking the Blade shape from the Radar XL.

The Alpha is a great pair, but the more I've used them the more I feel the nosepiece is a drawback. It's quite rigid, as mentioned, and it being the only rubber contact point and having less wrap than the 3.0 the fit isn't as secure as I'd like it. The cushy nose piece of the standard M Frame lets that pair sit on your face all day without discomfort. Their trend toward harder nosepieces is rooted in practical function - the higher durometer resists wear, requires less frequent replacement (or none at all possibly), and doesn't seem to absorb oils and sweat as readily as traditional Unobtanium.

On to your pair specifically - you've got a standard 3rd gen (or fourth, depending on if you count the Pro or not) or "New" M Frame. They came out in 1999 and are still active as industrial eyewear. The M Frame line has been scaling back for a few years now, not officially retired but pretty much discontinued in the standard retail form. The industrial line keeps the Strike and Hybrid lenses active, as does the SI lineup. Agro was only used as an identifier for a short period of time and I've got an Agro without the clip hole so it might be across the board now as a permanent revision to the Strike.

The nice part about M Frames, M2 and Alpha notwithstanding, is that lenses are interchangeable across almost all of the frames. Gen1 had a few differences, Gen2 tends to be a bit tighter, and all frames and lenses have a touch of variability to them which may cause a lens and frame to not mate well. But overall any M Frame lens will work in any M Frame, whether it be Pro, New, 2.0, 3.0. The main difference in the latter two is that they're "ballistic" models and have a clip at the center of the frame above the nose to accommodate military impact standards requiring the lens not come free of the frame during impact. The clip can be removed for fitting a standard retail lens. There was also a standard M Frame sold as a ballistic model which had this clip, and once again it can be simply removed and the frame used as standard.

As to where to find lenses and frames? You're right, there are a lot of fakes out there, especially of the military models that are popular with Airsoft or other mil-sim/cosplay which really drives the fakes market. Some Vault stores may still have lenses. I know I cleaned out my local Vault during a Friends and Family sale last year. Ebay is a crapshoot, but there are still likely some deals to be had. Safest bet is to get access to the exchange section here and post a WTB or keep an eye out for M Frames coming on the exchange.

Sorry, I can't comment on any aftermarket lenses. I have enough OEM that I'm not really concerned with them right now.

Back