• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Official Photography Thread

I'm using a Nikon D4 body and a Nikon D700 body with a 70-200 2.8 zoom lens or the 24-70 mm 2.8 lens (if it looks normal perspective). My favourite lens is the the 14-24 mm by a long shot!!!
I figured you a Nikon man. I use a D4s and a D800 (D300 was my first body and got me hooked), and a Sony RX100 iv goes everywhere with me, and an Olympus TG4 for the water. I've got the 70-200 2.8 (best lens ever created), and sometimes I reach out with a 2x teleconverter. I use primes in the other areas, although I really would like to add the rest of the Nikon trinity one day. I actually have ventured off into the Sigma Art range for some primes, and I have been thrilled with the results I have gotten with them. I haven't really uploaded anything here (bottom of the priorities), but photography is a big passion of mine. Have you played with a D5 :spiteful:???

I figured you a Nikon man. I use a D4s and a D800 (D300 was my first body and got me hooked), and a Sony RX100 iv goes everywhere with me, and an Olympus TG4 for the water. I've got the 70-200 2.8 (best lens ever created), and sometimes I reach out with a 2x teleconverter. I use primes in the other areas, although I really would like to add the rest of the Nikon trinity one day. I actually have ventured off into the Sigma Art range for some primes, and I have been thrilled with the results I have gotten with them. I haven't really uploaded anything here (bottom of the priorities), but photography is a big passion of mine. Have you played with a D5 :spiteful:???
My first camera was the D70s because it was the cheapest best value for money camera, when compared to the Canon equivalent. As you know, you buy into a "lens" system, not really a brand. It kinda snowballed from there. -> D200 -> D300 X2 -> D700 -> D4.

Nikons suit my type of shooting because I love photographing people. They have advantages over the equivalent Canon (although they're very similar specced). Probably the number one thing is the colour rendition of skin tones out of the camera, as unless I'm doing paid jobs, I generally shoot high res jpeg. I hate editing photos and leave it to my business partner. I prefer to shoot. The other thing I love about the Nikons is the "one handed" turn on/off button. Canons don't have this. It makes a big difference over a day of shooting. Autofocus in low light is better, and it shoots faster in rapid fire mode. The downside is the lack of super wide aperture lenses. But then again, who seriously shoots at F1.2? It's madness.

Probably my best portrait lens is the 135 mm f2. It's an older lens now, but still thankfully auto focusses with the D4 bodies. It has adjustable bokeh either behind or in front of the subject which gives a beautiful picture, all managed optically through the glass. Yes, the 85 mm is sharper and faster, but for bokeh, the 135 mm still rules IMHO.

The Sigma Art range are arguably even better than some of the Nikons. I've never owned any, but a 35 mm, I'd definitely consider! You're blessed to have access to such equipment!

No, I haven't played with a D5 yet. I've still got 120,000 shots of life on my D4 still!!

To be honest, I'd be equally happy just to own the 14 mm fixed 2.8 wide angle. It's a lot cheaper and I find that the 14-24 mm always gets used at it's widest most of the time. It's such a great lens, that I've heard of even Canon users buying the adapter to retrofit it onto their Canons!!

D750 + 70-200 VRII

200mm, 2.8 @ 1/640

IMG_4383.jpg

Latest Posts

Back