• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Please suggest some Oakleys based on my needs...

Thanks ppl for your suggestions.
Starting with radar type of sunglasses, I don't feel I like the look of them. They look very sporty but not smart/sporty.

I understand the flak 2.0 is a slightly larger frame than the half jacket 2.0 or flak 1.0. for this reason I think the flak jacket 2.0 could be a winner. Plus the flak jacket are more durable than the half jackets. I feel the xl lenses suit my face better than the standard lens.
I've also noted the comment of going with the 2.0 version than 1.0 for future proofing.

So now its just the question of which lenses to get?? Do I get normal iridium, or polarised, or vr28, or a variant of prizm?

What is the best all-rounder for golf, fishing, running, cycling, driving?
O hear the polarised are too dark. The iridium is does nothing special. The prizm is good for specific purposes.

Thanks.

Thanks ppl for your suggestions.
Starting with radar type of sunglasses, I don't feel I like the look of them. They look very sporty but not smart/sporty.

I understand the flak 2.0 is a slightly larger frame than the half jacket 2.0 or flak 1.0. for this reason I think the flak jacket 2.0 could be a winner. Plus the flak jacket are more durable than the half jackets. I feel the xl lenses suit my face better than the standard lens.
I've also noted the comment of going with the 2.0 version than 1.0 for future proofing.

So now its just the question of which lenses to get?? Do I get normal iridium, or polarised, or vr28, or a variant of prizm?

What is the best all-rounder for golf, fishing, running, cycling, driving?
O hear the polarised are too dark. The iridium is does nothing special. The prizm is good for specific purposes.

Thanks.

Deep Water Prizm might work for you. While I don't golf or fish, I use DWP while running, cycling and driving. Good all around lens. Otherwise, Vr28 Black Iridium is also great.

Happy Holidays.

If you are going fishing or driving a lot, a Polarized lens will be best to cut down on glare. Light reflecting off of water, road surfaces, vehicles windows, etc will interfere with your vision. Prizm Deep Water Polarized is a great all around lens and not only a great fishing lens. I use it all the time for driving and daily use.

If the budget ever allows, it would be good to get another frame with a lighter lens or a non-Polarized lens.

If you have an Oakley store or vault, or a Sunglasses Hut nearby, stop by and try out some of the various lenses. It will be hard to tell indoors, but you can get a good idea of some of the lens tints.

Reading through this thread top to bottom just now, I knew OP would say specifically that Radars weren't "smart" looking ha. Too bad because it's probably (imo) the most useful frame (venting, peripheral coverage, zero movement on face).

As far as OP's criteria on the lens, there is no question you'll need to go Polarized. Ever tried to fish w non-polarized sunglasses?

If you're set on getting one pair only and want it to be as multi-use as possible I would narrow it down to 2 lenses: Prizm Daily Polarized (14% light transmission) or Deep Water Prizm Polarized (slightly darker @ 12% light transmission). As has been said, the DWP is actually a pretty good all around lens with its name being a bit of a misnomer (or at least categorizing its usefulness too narrowly imo). I'd say try on the different lenses and see if there's a tint you prefer better while also keeping in mind how much light is being let through. Personally, when driving or fishing on the brightest of days, darker is just so much better. It really is pretty subjective but this last year I know I went from sapphire polarized (20% LT) to Prizm Shallow Water (15% LT) to DWP (12% LT) specifically for fishing. And then it turned out wearing the DWP on the drive to and from the reservoir was working well.

For frame, Flak 2.0XL is where it's at. You can swap or fully clean your lenses in a jiffy, the parts are widely available and likely will be for some time, excellent peripheral coverage, tons of unobtanium, they dissemble/assemble easily so doing a full and proper cleaning is quick and easy (which you'll need to do on a regular basis if you'll only have the one pair, especially an active pair). Oh, and they're really not too terribly "unsmart" looking ;)

Thank you for your further comments.
It seems DWP are well regarded but so expensive. I cannot find a cheaper pair with those lenses in.

In the UK, I've searched various sites and feel these are the cheapest I've seen (currently the exchange rate £1:$1.35 for comparison):

Oakley Flak 2.0 XL Polarised Sunglasses
Oakley Flak 20 XL Polarised Sunglasses : Winstanleys Bikes

Oakley Flak 2.0 XL Prizm Daily Sunglasses
Oakley Flak 20 XL Prizm Daily Sunglasses : Winstanleys Bikes

Oakley Flak 2.0 XL Prizm Road Sunglasses
Oakley Flak 20 XL Prizm Road Sunglasses : Winstanleys Bikes

Oakley Flak 2.0 XL Sunglasses
Oakley Flak 20 XL Sunglasses : Winstanleys Bikes

The links do not show any DWP but of the above which is best to cover bright sunlight and also not so bright days? I do not wear sunglasses inside buildings, I'll only be wearing them outside. There is just so much choice with Oakley lenses. Which would you go for?
Thanks.

Hey Zax, thanks for the effort. However, as I viewed it this morning (GMT time) it had sold. I will add, I do not feel comfortable buying sunglasses from Ebay as they are a lot of fakes around and I need assurance that what I'm wearing are protecting my eyes.

What about the ones in the links (above), are any of them good? I think the black or grey lens one are smart to go with a black frame.

Hey Zax, thanks for the effort. However, as I viewed it this morning (GMT time) it had sold. I will add, I do not feel comfortable buying sunglasses from Ebay as they are a lot of fakes around and I need assurance that what I'm wearing are protecting my eyes.

What about the ones in the links (above), are any of them good? I think the black or grey lens one are smart to go with a black frame.

While it is true that there are many fakes in eBay, if you do your homework, there are quite a few good deals to be had.

Not a fan of paying full price...especially when so readily available at a discount.

Everyone will see this coming from me but why not an x metal? It fits the requirements. Not to mention will look great out in world when everyone else is wearing o matter.

Back