• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polarized Lenses

I might even throw in the G30 polarized lenses for Fast Jackets, they are excellent all-around lenses that work well in sunlight, overcast, or even a bright haze. You read my mind MrMoonlight, the only problem with Fast Jackets is they do not have many options for lenses.

Actually I wouldn't rule out a pair of Flaks to be honest. I don't currently own a pair. I have tried them on before and they seem a good fit(funnily prefer the XLJ lenses on the Flak Jackets, whereas I prefer regular lenses on the Fast Jackets).
I had settled on Fast Jackets because I liked the idea of the switch lock system and the style of them of course, but most stock combos seem to carry persimmon as the extra set of lenses which I can't see myself using much to be honest.

Flak Jackets were suggested to me before on a different thread so I think I will do some investigating. Cheaper initial layout as well I suppose as one set of lenses only included, which isn't a negative really.

Same recommends for the polarized lenses as the Fast Jackets?

Thanks again for the suggestions and advice so far.

I love polarized, never given me a headache, in fact they truly relax the eyes IMO. They're perfect for driving and any motor sport. I wear them as often as possible. Polarization brings hdo to the next level, worth every penny.

Polarization causes distortion. When you look through a polarized lens, your eyes strain a bit, and have to work a harder to correct the distortion polarization causes. This is why some people get headaches. It's very minute, and most aren't effected by it, but it does unfortunately cause pain for some.

I'm in Scotland so can appreciate your weather/rain issues.

I find the opposite to what you have mentioned regarding headaches. Almost all of my Oakleys are polarized and I find that on a bright day polarized lenses prevent headaches.

For driving I wore Spikes but they are wrecked now and I can't get OEM lenses for them so I now use my Flaks. I have both OO Red Polarized and Ice Polarized lenses. I find on bright sunny winters days I need the Ice as it is darker but when its a bit overcast I'll wear the OO Red. If I was only picking 1 it would be the OO red because I love how they enhance the contrast. The downside (for me) is that they obviously are n't as dark on bright days. Thats the beauty of Flak or Fast jackets though. Easy to swap out the lenses.

I hope that doesn't muddy the waters even more for you!!

Neil

Ok so I`m going to go with one of two options:

A) Get a pair of Fast Jackets - order the stock combo of non polarized black iridium/persimmon and order an extra pair of polarized lenses, probably 00 red and use the polarized as my main lens, swapping out for the black iridium for the (rare!) very sunny days.

B) Get a pair of Flak Jackets with polarized lenses and order another pair of polarized lenses as well.

The financial outlay for both of the above would be roughly the same. I`m really undecided on which option to go for. The advantage of Fast Jackets is the extra set of lenses(although I dont know if I will use them) and the ease of changing lenses and less stress on the frame while doing so.
For the Flak Jackets, I`d get 2 sets of polarized for the same money(but no third set of lenses) and the lense range seems a lot bigger than the Fast Jackets.

:confused:

I'd go for the Fast Jacket's as they will last longer if your intention is to change lenses frequently.

Thanks. Yeah it makes sense really. Just ordered a pair of the polished black with non polarized Black Iridium and Persimmon lenses.Got a decent enough price off the site I ordered - £129.00 delivered.
I`m going to order some polarized lenses elsewhere. Still trying to decide which to go for, have Ice Iridium and 00 Red Iridium on my shortlist at the moment.

I'd go for the Fast Jacket's as they will last longer if your intention is to change lenses frequently.
Heh. I changed out the lenses on my Flak Jackets for nearly every game we played to match the conditions. Bright sun, overcast, haze, twilight etc...and we played a 60 game schedule. The frames are fine. I think the whole "stressing the frames" argument is overblown. Lens selection for Flaks can't be beat.

But seeing as how adox already pulled the trigger on the Fast Jackets, I'd suggest the OO-Red if you're only going to have one polarized lens at first. The polarized Ice is pretty dark. And I never liked looking through Ice lenses anyway, polarized or not...but that's just me. OO-Red also gives a little contrast, which I like. Ice is a neutral tint.

Latest Posts

Back