• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polishing O Matter Frames, Tips And Tricks

If you want a safe polishing compound for O matter frames check out Tamiya's 3 step polishing compound namely coarse, fine and finish. I use these for my 1:24th scaled plastic kits. You can easily find them on eBay for $18/set.

I just bought my 2nd pair of Ducati Dog. When I received them I was dismayed. They looked dull because they were infested with scratches and swirl marks. Not to mention the condition of the lenses. The seller doesn't understand the meaning of "good condition". So I decided to bring this pair back to life. Please note that I was half way thru the process when I decided to document it and I apologize. So I didn't cover the step by step process but you'll see the difference from the pictures below.

I used the Tamiya FINISH compound ONLY and did not use the COURSE and FINE compound. I just want to remove the light scratches and swirl marks. I used these for my plastic model car kits. So these are totally safe for your O matter frames.

For best result. Put a small amount of the compound on the microfiber cloth and NOT directly on the frame. After polishing them with the compound use a clean area of the microfiber cloth (area without compound).

The FINE compound is the one with the white cap. I also use my more than a decade old Oakley microfiber bag. :) DO NOT USE this on your lenses anymore as they have abrasive content from the compound. Unless you wash them thoroughly.

Buff_Tute01.jpg

The nose area of the frame (encircled) demonstrates how dull the frame and the 2nd picture after polishing it.

Buff_Tute02.jpg
Buff_Tute03.jpg

The frame after polishing. Like I said I forgot to document the entire process. Sorry about that.

Buff_Tute04.jpg

Together with my other Ducati Dog

Buff_Tute05.jpg

I hope this helps and feel free to ask if you have questions. Thanks!

Plastic Renew works great, but it can be a long process. If done correctly, it works great! Just don't use it on painted frames!

Thanks for the info!
Tamiya can be used for painted frames. They were made for that purpose actually. Just take extra care when working on raised edges as they tend to wear off easily.

I use the Novus 3 step polish system.. It's like magic! I don't have any examples of sunglasses I have resorted, but I'm currently resorting a display case that was badly neglected and the results on the acrylic is phenomenal! I have a before and after on a shelf ill share
mamuza3u.jpg
6avy6ete.jpg

Back