• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Ryan1776

Oakley Beginner
Contrast-enhancing Oakley Prizm lenses have changed eyewear forever. These lenses are optimized to specific environments to maximize color, contrast, and reduce glare. And that’s exactly what Oakley Prizm Shallow Water and Prizm Deep Water lenses accomplish. Oakley made these two lenses specifically for fishing and being on the water.
Keep reading for our complete comparison of both Prizm water lenses.

Oakley Prizm Shallow Water
Oakley Prizm Shallow Water is a lens designed for fishing in creeks, shallow lakes, and rivers. Specifically, this lens is designed to:

Optimized visibility to see underwater structures and textures
Enhanced contrast in shallow water so you can easily spot fish and other animals
Significant glare reduction compared to standard lenses especially off the water
15% Visual light transmission great for bright light conditions...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think much of it can come down to what you prefer to see when looking through them. Also, visible light transmission and how much light you prefer to come through to your eyes. 12% and 15% VLT on those lenses, respectively).

I prefer Prizm Deep Water for my daily lenses. Light blue looks great, but looking through them is what I enjoy the most because they are versatile enough to be worn in low light conditions such as a cloudy day and not be so dark that you feel the need to take them off to be able to see and yet don't allow so much light through that my eyes are being affected by the sun/reflections on the water on a sunny day.

Hope this helps!

Polarized lenses is a must for fishing. Cutting out the glare off the water is number one. The blue on deep water prizms is supposed to counter the blue ocean water, which is supposed to help you see just a little more deeper. Same theory concerning the green shallow water. If you don't have either, just make sure what ever you're using is polarized.

Aloha and welcome to the Forum. :welcome:

I think much of it can come down to what you prefer to see when looking through them. Also, visible light transmission and how much light you prefer to come through to your eyes. 12% and 15% VLT on those lenses, respectively).

I prefer Prizm Deep Water for my daily lenses. Light blue looks great, but looking through them is what I enjoy the most because they are versatile enough to be worn in low light conditions such as a cloudy day and not be so dark that you feel the need to take them off to be able to see and yet don't allow so much light through that my eyes are being affected by the sun/reflections on the water on a sunny day.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for the data. I like the comment about the low light conditions. Because it can certainly be cloudy but still out on the boat.
The "what you prefer to see" is an interesting question/comment. I want to not hit stumps. I could absolutely care less if I ever see a fish. Seeing the contours of the lake bed, reducing the glint from the waves in the sun is required.

Polarized lenses is a must for fishing. Cutting out the glare off the water is number one. The blue on deep water prizms is supposed to counter the blue ocean water, which is supposed to help you see just a little more deeper. Same theory concerning the green shallow water. If you don't have either, just make sure what ever you're using is polarized.

Aloha and welcome to the Forum. :welcome:
Aloha! Thank you for the welcome.
As I mentioned, don't care about fishing visibility. I don't even own a fishing pole.
The glare of the water IS number one, to be sure.

So by your comments, I want the shallow.

@scienergy comments made me think deep....

Therefore. I'm no further along! :lolsign:

If you are going slow and want to see underwater obstacles then polarized is great. If you are going fast and need to evaluate waves and surface conditions a non polarized lens is better.

100% deep water prizm, crisp and one of the best lenses I have ever used, second to vr28. I work on boats in the Bahamas, and the sun being so brutal and the water how it is. Deep water as I said is my go too every time.

Color is a personal preference anyway.
Color? Color of what the lens? Certainly it's not just a color difference.

If you are going slow and want to see underwater obstacles then polarized is great. If you are going fast and need to evaluate waves and surface conditions a non polarized lens is better.
Interesting. I've been boating for 30 years, have always used polarized. Never heard any other way.
100% deep water prizm, crisp and one of the best lenses I have ever used, second to vr28. I work on boats in the Bahamas, and the sun being so brutal and the water how it is. Deep water as I said is my go too every time.
Now is that deep water because of the color and overall depth of the water you're in? Lakes in Michigan are not nearly the hues and depths of the ocean.

Last edited:
Interesting. I've been boating for 30 years, have always used polarized. Never heard any other way.

Now is that deep water because of the color and overall depth of the water you're in? Lakes in Michigan are not nearly the hues and depths of the ocean.
Could very well be the water differential. But I like the overall hue of them everywhere as well, and use them stateside to bass fish as well. Never for much out of shallow water prizm myself

I think the color being referred to is twofold: 1. the exterior color of the lens (blue/green for Shallow Water and a light blue for Deep Water) and 2. the base lens color (Rose for both, vice a grey) and the contrast it provides (increased for both, vice a neutral contrast). Both are meant for bright light, with DW allowing 12% light transmission and SW allowing 15%.

Latest Posts

Back