• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Project Success! - Removing Anodized Finish From Small Ellipse Carabiner Keychain!

CrazyALee

I should Work at Oakley
CA, USA
So I got a blue carabiner (olympian blue) for cheap at an oakley vault and it was a color I did not like so much. Anyway, I wanted it polished so I researched online if theres a DIY for removing anodized finish from aluminum or similar metals. You just need a solution called "greased lightning" (at least super strength or commercial, coudlnt find commercial strength), and "never dull" metal polisher. See the pics!

DSC05221_zps97881c87.jpg
DSC05311_zpsbdb651e4.jpg
DSC05313_zps71b2f0f5.jpg

Let it sit in the Greased lightning solution for about 15-20 minutes.
DSC05316_zpsc572aef8.jpg
It helps to swirl or move the object about too.

Some light scrubbing with scotch brite towards the end, and rinse (WEAR gloves! Dont let this solution contact your skin)

DSC05315_zps4d2eaa0e.jpg

Notice the rough brushed texture?
DSC05317_zps38db7d84.jpg

Rinse and dry-still a rough brushed texture
DSC05319_zps695554f9.jpg

Now polish that rough texture into a shiny finish !!!!!
DSC05322_zps62eaca98.jpg

The only thing is I was too impatient and too lazy to try scrubbing the harder to reach areas..
DSC05324_zps403cbee2.jpg

But overall I am very happy with the result! =)
DSC05323_zpsa0df2aeb.jpg

stages_zps442918ad.jpg

Last edited:
greaat idea, however I would not use a scotch bright pad as it is too rough on the smooth finish. Try 0000 steel wool instead.

I agree with xmetalmaniac try the steal wool. I use it on a lot of projects and it works great. I spray water out of a squirt bottle on the item and steel wool. I have used this method to remove surface rust from chrome parts and it does well

try ez-off heavy duty oven cleaner....been destroying anodizing with it since the 80's...used to strip the anodize coatings off the old gold rc10 chassis pans and polish them to a mirror shine in high school...don't get the fume friendly though, it sucks..

try ez-off heavy duty oven cleaner....been destroying anodizing with it since the 80's...used to strip the anodize coatings off the old gold rc10 chassis pans and polish them to a mirror shine in high school...don't get the fume friendly though, it sucks..
I knew a guy who cleaned his sportbike with a can of ez-off spray once.......ONCE. He cleaned EVERYTHING on that bike with it......needless to say we had a new name for him after he destroyed everything on the bike......

Back