• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Proposition 65, what is it?

Fresh

I should Work at Oakley
Mexico City
While browsing the O site I found that some frames have a "Proposition 65" note, it says that the product might have some chemicals that could cause cancer, what's with that? Is Oakley now making radioactive shades?
I also noticed it applies to California only, so any people from Cali wishing to explain what this is exactly, I searched a little and it said something about water and chemicals, but I don't get how sunglasses could give you cancer (plus it focused on women more). Any info is greatly appreciated

ps. even if they cause cancer, there's now way I'm throwing my Oakleys away

It's some of that krazy Kalifornia stuff.

Ever seen a label "this product contains or may contain chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer or birth defects" (or whatever the wording is)? That's from Prop 65 way back in the 80's.

Basically any petroleum-based items, like plastic, fall under the scope and requires labeling of some kind to be sold in CA. The list is absurdly long and idiotic. They only cause cancer in California, though, so you should be fine.

The hippies in California fought to have those signs put everywhere and anywhere. I already know I'm going to get cancer it's just a way of life... I don't need some stupid sign reminding me of it. It's just for Cali to cover their ass so they don't get sued or something. They are litterly everywhere in Cali.

It's some of that krazy Kalifornia stuff.

Ever seen a label "this product contains or may contain chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer or birth defects" (or whatever the wording is)? That's from Prop 65 way back in the 80's.

Basically any petroleum-based items, like plastic, fall under the scope and requires labeling of some kind to be sold in CA. The list is absurdly long and idiotic. They only cause cancer in California, though, so you should be fine.
This!!

So it is more of a "there's a chance this could cause cancer" like eating meat or nutella, you silly Californians what me to give up my Oddiction? Not gonna happen! It's also funny how just a few frames have this notice and others not, plastic quality I guess. Thanks for the info fellas!

I suppose its just magic that California has the lowest cancer rate of any state with its level of industrial activity (and urbanized population) and rates nationwide have been dropping consistently for nearly 30 years.

I suppose its just magic that California has the lowest cancer rate of any state with its level of industrial activity (and urbanized population) and rates nationwide have been dropping consistently for nearly 30 years.
By all means I think this is a good practice, and it should be applied in other things such as everyday use items, but it really freaks people out (not Californians) when you see that your sunglasses might cause cancer, sounds like they were built in Chernobyl or something

By all means I think this is a good practice, and it should be applied in other things such as everyday use items, but it really freaks people out (not Californians) when you see that your sunglasses might cause cancer, sounds like they were built in Chernobyl or something

LOL- that's one of the issues with 65 and why the California Governor's Office is currently drafting a white paper to reform it. Why? Take a guess how many substances are on the list that, if exceeded, that label has to be put on a product? As of last week? 864. So needless to say when there's THAT many, it can be pretty easy to go over the threshold of something when the actual impact of any given one of those 864 substances on any single individuals cancer rate may be very little.

Back