• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Recommendation on which PRIZM lens to buy

madgodzilla512

Oakley Beginner
I've always wore Oakley prescription glasses and am looking to try out prescription sunglasses. Unfortunately, there are no Oakley stores or stores that handle Oakley products near my vicinity so I was hoping to get some advice from you guys.

I live in Illinois and will be using these for mostly driving. I need a lens that can accommodate usual glares from the sun as well as glares from the snow during the winter. I'm not sure how much overcast matters, but being able to accommodate with that would also be nice. I am also a fan of hiking, and would like something that can enhance that experience, but this wouldn't be a high priority. I know this is probably a lot asking from one single lens type, but was trying to see what my best options were.

I also read some posts where users were complaining that PRIZM lenses scratch easily. Should I be worried about this? Are there proper maintenance steps I should follow?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've always wore Oakley prescription glasses and am looking to try out prescription sunglasses. Unfortunately, there are no Oakley stores or stores that handle Oakley products near my vicinity so I was hoping to get some advice from you guys.

I live in Illinois and will be using these for mostly driving. I need a lens that can accommodate usual glares from the sun as well as glares from the snow during the winter. I'm not sure how much overcast matters, but being able to accommodate with that would also be nice. I know this is probably a lot asking from one single lens type, but was trying to see what my best options were.

I also read some posts where users were complaining that PRIZM lenses scratch easily. Should I be worried about this? Are there proper maintenance steps I should follow?

Thanks!
@Chris A Hardaway

For a lens that can handle "anything" without being extremely good in any particular situation, I find Prizm Tungsten to be very nice. And if you get them in polarized they should handle glare very good (they are reasonably good in non polarized version too, but there are better options).
The hue is warm brown-violet-ish, and VLT is sort of medium which works both for overcast and full sunlight. For only bright light conditions, I'd choose something darker though. Beware also; the "color pop" is quite extreme with these in full sunlight. Maybe too much for some, even if I personally love it. And the iridium is almost non existent so your eyes will be visible from the outside.

Many people love Prizm Deep Water, and I can agree to some extent. They are a bit too dull and dark for anything but bright sunny days IMO. Not nearly as much "color pop" as many other Prizm lenses but very easy on the eyes.

Great! I was leaning towards the tungsten as well. Thanks for the detailed explanation!
Both dwp deep water prizm and standard tungsten Iridium Polarized are great options. If you like rose tints pick the former. If you prefer an Amber tint pick the later.

Prizm doesn't scratch any easier. Prizm is just a fancy name for new dye/filter and mirror coating colors. They have better contrast than non-prizm counter part

Back