• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Refinishing the mega towers

Spenc

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
IMG_1070.JPG
IMG_1071.JPG
thought I'd start this as a lot of people ask me how to and can they be refinished , the answer is yes anything can be done with a little work I'll as more info on what I use and tools used but for now I'd show what can be achieved

View attachment 323602 View attachment 323603 thought I'd start this as a lot of people ask me how to and can they be refinished , the answer is yes anything can be done with a little work I'll as more info on what I use and tools used but for now I'd show what can be achieved
That is quite a difference from the before and after photo. Looks great

Nice.
I remember @kronin323 doing a comprehensive a while ago.
I have had amazing results using OOO steel wool and recently restored a cube using the same. Have done so with all my cabs bringing them to like new. Thanks to @Medusa50 for the tips back last year.

Thanks for the mention. Mine was a review of the different types of metal cleaner / polishes out there. This work looks like tools and something abrasive, perhaps a wire cup or wheel on a power drill.

Yes for this finish I used a small hand sander with a rust removal pad I find it gives the closest finish to the original ok to use on a counter top or cube even a shot gun case , the tall mega towers have a more angled extrusion so the sander is hard to use for this I use good old fashioned elbow grease and a Brillo pad with wd40 , I find using wire wool give the case a shiny finish.ill add some more pictures soon .

Yes for this finish I used a small hand sander with a rust removal pad I find it gives the closest finish to the original ok to use on a counter top or cube even a shot gun case , the tall mega towers have a more angled extrusion so the sander is hard to use for this I use good old fashioned elbow grease and a Brillo pad with wd40 , I find using wire wool give the case a shiny finish.ill add some more pictures soon .

I would like to see the discs you use. 3m roloc I assume?

Latest Posts

Back