• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo 1 late gen serial and box labels

Dantes

I should Work at Oakley
Sweden
I posted a for trade thread with my R1 with matching serial box, however, on the label, only 5 digits are printed (all matching my frame), while the serial itself is 6 digits. The third digit on the frame thus doesn't match.

Now several forum members and admins here are saying I deliberately tried to deceive another member, which is NOT true, and all who knows me, know that I would NEVER do something dishonest like that. No, the only explanation is that this is how Oakley numbered the late gen Romeos. That, or it is a factory misprint.

I'm pretty sure that within this community there must be other members who have examples of this type of 5 digit R1 labels. What I know is that these Romeos were bought in Europe, and that they are probobly late generation, if not very last generation Romeos. The box is the matching box they came in.

If your R1 has this type of label, please post a photo so we can bring light to this mystery.

Here are pics of the label and frame.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
The only time I've ever seen a missing number is when the box is missing the leading 1. Like if the serial is 123456 an the box has A23456. I have a couple like that. Never seen a missing digit in the middle of the serial.

I see 3 possibilities. 1) The person typing labels that day missed a digit. 2) That label is not the original one and someone reproduced it missing a digit. 3) The label was meant for serial 012916 and the person matching boxes to frames ****ed up.

Personally I'm leaning to number 2. I've seen plenty of Romeo labels that were just the plain white sticker with the barcode but never one that said "Romeo (Black)" I could be wrong, especially given that Oakley has shown they have NO standard when it comes to this type of thing. The only way to be sure would be to get a barcode scanner and scan it, but it could still be a replacement and someone just got the barcode right. I know one member here that can reproduce those labels, although I'm sure he would have gotten the serial correct.

Anyone ever seen that label with "Romeo (Black)"?

See the label in this thread:
Romeo 1

Mine is missing the top portion of label. #2 seems like a pretty good guess. lol.. if your gonna make a new label, at least copy it correctly..

The guy I bought this R1 from had no idea about matching serial numbers. Outside of this forum, noone cares if the serial matches.

I certanly did not reproduce the label, and considering the one and only reason to do such a thing would be to actually match the serial, I'd say #2 is out.

#3 would still require 1 more digit or prefix in the printed serial.

Honestly you/we will never know. best bet, is to put the sale as it is, with the annotation that the box # isnt matching. Only because its close. Only someone here might care. the romeo black seems misleading. does oakley consider any r1's black? i dont think so.

call it what you have not what you think it is. no way around it. if i am not mistaken good look pair. if i didnt have 2 already. GLWS

I guess we'll see what people have. 1st gen X-metal Juliets were also called black on the label. BTW, not selling, but may trade.

It is not so much them labelling it 'black' (though it is suspicious since Oakley only really used that for a year or so in the early 2000s and would pre date the pictures Romeo by several years) but rather them deviating from their usual standard of having both the frame color and the lens colour that makes it look a bit....off. We have seen many, many fake X-metal labels but if that one turns out to be a fake label, it is admittedly a very good one. Either way, not sure if anyone can say it is a matching box, typo or not.

I have just tried scanning some of my barcoded boxes and this is what I found;

App used - Red Laser.

The barcode not being scanned was covered to avoid a mis-reading.

The upper bar code would scan and search for results although it only id'd it as an Oakley UPC code (universal product code).

The bottom one however, could be read by the scanner but wouldn't do a search on it. This is the one that contains the frame serial number.

Here is a pic of it being scanned
edfbe3f1f8e9865c5a7b61fdf93c4b99.jpg

Last edited:
I posted a for trade thread with my R1 with matching serial box, however, on the label, only 5 digits are printed (all matching my frame), while the serial itself is 6 digits. The third digit on the frame thus doesn't match.

Now several forum members and admins here are saying I deliberately tried to deceive another member, which is NOT true, and all who knows me, know that I would NEVER do something dishonest like that. No, the only explanation is that this is how Oakley numbered the late gen Romeos. That, or it is a factory misprint.

I'm pretty sure that within this community there must be other members who have examples of this type of 5 digit R1 labels. What I know is that these Romeos were bought in Europe, and that they are probobly late generation, if not very last generation Romeos. The box is the matching box they came in.

If your R1 has this type of label, please post a photo so we can bring light to this mystery.

Here are pics of the label and frame.

View attachment 212755 View attachment 212756

at least the "Powerball" (money ball) is not the missing number :)