• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Roughly a year later: Where does this board stand with Prizm?

I'd argue for their intended purposes they may very well be a success- but that doesn't do much for those of us that like the look of certain lenses but find they're near impossible to wear outside of those intended purposes (if at all). I love the look of say Prizm Field for example but can't stand the fact you can a) see my eyes and b) the light transmission of 15% not only sits right at the line above which I'm not willing and able to wear (16%) but also when looking through them it seems a heck of a lot brighter (like something closer to 22%). In, fact I experience MORE eyestrain wearing Prizm Field in everyday use- not less. Many Prizm lenses also lack polarization which, at this point in my collecting career, is nearly a must.

There are a couple successes- most notably Deep Water: low enough light transmission, doesn't seem to emphasize colors I don't like, Irdium-like coating/can't see eyes, polarized, etc.. But overall I find the Prizm line so far and as a whole has fallen short in the 3 key categories I not only value in a lens but insist of having: 1) lower light transmissions-16% or lower; 2) sufficient supply of polarized options; 3) have enough coating to hide eyes.

Now, I do note we're starting to see the rollout of some new lenses that are, by the looks of it intended to take the place of some Iridiums (notably, Prizm Ruby Polarized and Prizm Black Polarized- the latter of which one hopes is better than the epic fail the Daily's are and closer to BIP). If these types of lenses are aesthetically to my liking and meet the eye hiding and light transmission criteria, we might be getting somewhere.

Keep in mind when coming in with a dissenting opinion like this that I might have something of a more unique perspective given I have highly light sensitive eyes...borderline photophobia probably-I've had my workplace remove half the lights around my desk and I mean I can wear BIP on a cloudy and raining day- no issues, no negative effects, completely comfortably. Not only do I have to be careful with light transmissions but if one looks at my Oakley collection- most of my lenses aren't contrast lenses and the ones that are (Fire for example) are fairly weak in that department.

So, again- for me, the jury is out for me though there is the potential for me to christen Prizm a success given the rollout of new more everyday lenses that are- hopefully- less activity specific and are truly more direct replacements for many of the mainstay Iridiums.

There is definitely a lot of weight to what you're saying. As a cyclist, before Prizm Road, I wore Jade/+Red/Ice, and those are all darker. The thought I'm playing with a higher LT% than usual definitely crossed my mind. Kinda just chalked it up to giving it a chance and luckily it's a non-issue for myself.

Oakley has managed to created dedicated LT levels for Snow Prizm, though. I know the goals and environments are different but hopefully there's a darker and lighter alternative for Road. Baseball runs a bit darker than Road last I recall, and is similar, so that's the only makeshift for now.

As I do cycling, I use Uranium Radar EV Paths in Prizm Road. Excellent glasses, I have used them at dusk, morning and midday. I love them in cycling and running on road/Tarmac. However, on an athletics track when I am competing, I prefer Radars with +red iridium. I don't know why, but Prizm road just never has worked on an athletics track. Just my thoughts.
John

Prizm lenses are my primary lenses now. Between Black prizm polarized and tungsten prizm polarized. I occasionally wear BIP, but mainly prizm now. So nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while sitting on the toilet

As I do cycling, I use Uranium Radar EV Paths in Prizm Road. Excellent glasses, I have used them at dusk, morning and midday. I love them in cycling and running on road/Tarmac. However, on an athletics track when I am competing, I prefer Radars with +red iridium. I don't know why, but Prizm road just never has worked on an athletics track. Just my thoughts.
John

Considering Road has a rose tint and many tracks carry a reddish hue, I'd expect it to wash out.

+Red has a cool/blue tint to it. Granted it won't contrast anything major, but not have the same possible downsides as Road.

Back