• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

🦘Ruby Lenses 101

I thought I had a Ruby Iridium lens which I sold to someone, however the buyer was expecting something completely different... Can someone chime in on what lens I have? Buyer provided a comparison of what they were expecting versus what I had - theirs is much more vibrant regardless of the lighting conditions, while mine would only really 'pop' when a directly light source hit them. More photos of mine > LINK

Thanks

17C3918E-E5D3-4D40-A9F7-B85967DC7843.jpg

I thought I had a Ruby Iridium lens which I sold to someone, however the buyer was expecting something completely different... Can someone chime in on what lens I have? Buyer provided a comparison of what they were expecting versus what I had - theirs is much more vibrant regardless of the lighting conditions, while mine would only really 'pop' when a directly light source hit them. More photos of mine > LINK

Thanks

View attachment 513417

From the pics would appear to be a modern +Red Iridium for a Frogskin. More blue than orange or purple. Eg.

2018-08-13_06-32-58

Last edited:
Weird I don't really get blue/violet like I'm use to seeing in Modern +Red, but I guess the absents of red under normal lighting conditions which make it transparentish would be what you are referring to?
View attachment 513442

From what you're describing sounds more like a Torch lens. Transparency wouldn't have been found on earlier +Reds, however with the Torch lens, there is a diffinite transparency to the lens in certain lighting/angles.

How about showing what the base tint looks like from the wearer's perspective?

And really, as damaged as those lenses are, does it really matter anymore?
Damaged? As in how they ruined the original look of the Ruby lens to what it's being sold as in current times?

Here are some of the photos I provided prior to selling and he seemed satisfied with them, but when they arrived they looked nothing like his scratched pair... I'm waiting on them to arrive back to me, as he wasn't pleased and requested a return... I've had these lenses sitting on the shelf for a while, so I figured it's possible I mixed them up with something else as they were removed from a new pair of frogs and not an original replacement lens set. I began digging into information on illusive Ruby lens to determine if maybe I had it wrong to begin with - came across this thread and hear we are on this fine Monday.

URA7Uec.jpg

6uvuHhZ.jpg

87DSEOw.jpg

HOiFW4v.jpg

Damaged? As in how they ruined the original look of the Ruby lens to what it's being sold as in current times?

Here are some of the photos I provided prior to selling and he seemed satisfied with them, but when they arrived they looked nothing like his scratched pair... I'm waiting on them to arrive back to me, as he wasn't pleased and requested a return... I've had these lenses sitting on the shelf for a while, so I figured it's possible I mixed them up with something else as they were removed from a new pair of frogs and not an original replacement lens set. I began digging into information on illusive Ruby lens to determine if maybe I had it wrong to begin with - came across this thread and hear we are on this fine Monday.

View attachment 513455

View attachment 513452

View attachment 513453

View attachment 513454

Looks like a grey base.

Liking the Anti-Freeeze Frogs.

View attachment 513455

View attachment 513452

View attachment 513453

View attachment 513454

Ah, in your original pics it looks like there's a couple of big dings in the iridium but perhaps those are just reflections...

In those pics it's hard to tell - one of them the base tint looks a little bluish while in the other it looks more grey.

But if IRL they're clearly blue then my money's on Ruby. If it's a fainter blue then more likely Torch. If grey, then +Red.

Back