• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Shipping to USA from EU: HELP

It's not a case of enforcement (or lack of), as in we could get charged those fees but customs is just slack and lets a lot of stuff pass without charging it. It's a case of policy, where we have an exemption of up to $800 on most goods before customs fees apply.

Why the policy differs between US and the EU would take a rather in-depth analysis of politics, economics, and history. It's easier to say it is what it is. But in general many places in the EU are more socialized (as in having more gov't provided services) than the US and all that needs funding, so the tax burden is higher. Y'all also have that screwy VAT (Value Added Tax) which is basically when you improve materials, like making a table out of lumber "improves" the lumber, the labor involved increases the value of the lumber/table and is taxed. Etc etc.
Like I said earlier...

(Totally NFSW)

It's not a case of enforcement (or lack of), as in we could get charged those fees but customs is just slack and lets a lot of stuff pass without charging it. It's a case of policy, where we have an exemption of up to $800 on most goods before customs fees apply.

Why the policy differs between US and the EU would take a rather in-depth analysis of politics, economics, and history. It's easier to say it is what it is. But in general many places in the EU are more socialized (as in having more gov't provided services) than the US and all that needs funding, so the tax burden is higher. Y'all also have that screwy VAT (Value Added Tax) which is basically when you improve materials, like making a table out of lumber "improves" the lumber, the labor involved increases the value of the lumber/table and is taxed. Etc etc.
right....the US of A might have it ´s problems, and perhaps Europe used to be better......but now......no way ! the US government is at least not out to fleece their own citizens to the bone, and they make every effort to protect them, unlike euro governments that treat it´s original population as tax slaves.......in conclusion: America no. 1 ...... europe just sucks ass

PS: I have family in the US, .......and no, i did not get kicked out of the country !
:D

Last edited:
There's pros and cons both ways. That's why some of these issues get so polarized, both sides so sure they're right and the other side is wrong... The key problem is that in truth both sides are right, but for completely different reasons. It's not one or the other, it's both. Unfortunately things aren't as simple and black-and-white as people wish they were or see them as.

I will comment a bit on this......rino is right, it is impossible to contact customs in any european country , i am not in Italy, but in another euro country, and it´s the same. They are bastards that only are out to collect money from people. If they make a mistake, and they make many of them, there is no way you can reach them ! :mad: you can´t show up in person, you can´t call them !

Then i have a question for the Americans here, why is the US customs so nice/not so strict when it comes to shipments going into the US for regular consumers as yourself. you rarely get slapped with huge fees , like us euro´s, why is that ?
Because

GUNS. WE GOT GUNS. LOTS OF GUNS AND WE AINT AFRAID TO USE THEM

Latest Posts

Back