• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Stripped Penny hinge screw: Update

I did the exact same thing with a penny hinge screw. I found a screw driver just slightly smaller than the size of the upper screw hole opening, hammered it into the screw while supporting it from below with a wooden block. This "notched" the screw and gave something for the flat screw driver to bite into. From there, I attached a vise grip to the screw driver to give me a mechanical advantage for more leverage while still allowing me to push down into the screw to prevent the screwdriver from riding up the notch. I got it out. My watchmaker couldn't.

^ I attempted that, in trying to improvise a notch to use a flat screw driver I wore away the head and therefore have nothing for a vice grip to bite. When hammering the screw driver in it damaged the frame too

Tragic update;

Finally got the screw out. After reading the replies I gave it another go and was successful shortly after.

When replacing the new screw I soon realized the frame and arm did not align properly. In an attempt to line it up the titanium finally gave. Its tough material no doubt, but once the fracture occurred it was on its last leg.

CAUTION VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

F**K you T6 screws !

uploadfromtaptalk1415930153307.jpg

Sorry again. Sounds like it was already too far gone by the time you made the OP, with the stress crack made when you tried to hammer in a flathead driver.

But fixing a frame break like that has been explored a number of times on the forum and the answer has always been... no.

All you can do now is strip it to its components and sell the parts - there's a market for at least some of that stuff... better than having it sitting with everything else constantly reminding you...

Thanks for the support guys.

I don't recall seeing a thread regarding a broken frame like this. Why is it not possible to weld the titanium back together ?

I think if it's pure titanium it would be possible. I used to have a full titanium motorcycle exhaust and my welder managed to repair a crack on it using titanium welding rods. I think x metals are made up of a mixture of few metals (alloys) that it's why it's quite impossible to repair unless we know the composition of the alloys.

Back