• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Vintage M Frame on the Gurney

Id say find another broken pair with the opposite stem broken , make a good one and re paint to a colour of your choice,, that thing is pretty beat and the FMJ red imo is not salvageable

You know, repainting is a great idea. I hadn't thought of it!
I'm currently waiting on my newB probation period to end so I can check the For Sale section and post a Part Wanted listing.

Thanks for the recommendations!
Vic

BTW, what does FMJ mean and does it go by any other name?
“Full Metal Jacket” , no i don’t believe it does ,
There is FMJ red, team red , metallic red , blood red, crystal red , matte red ,and i think crimson red , all obviously very different, and i may be off on my colorways , there are far more experienced M framers here than I

Thanks for that... If I may, and while I've got you, please allow me to run my logic by you for comment. I have four lenses for my "New M Frame" with pointed end stems and so I think I my choices are either find a similar stem (FMJ red or other to paint), or buy a whole new M Frame from the same era. Having researched lens compatibility with newer models, I've come up with conflicting info, and so feel pushed toward the gen 1 M Frame (1999 "New" M Frame). On the other hand, mine broke from wear and without much provocation, so I fear these are all just aging beyond their service life.

Current plan, as mentioned, is to wait out my 15 day newB period, then hope to find a replacement snap-in stem with pointed end.

Thanks for your time and expertise.
Cheers, Vic

Well they are always available here from time to time on exchange for decent prices ,i just upgraded my account right away so i could buy some nice lenses

That may be correct, they could be so worn that they are not worth fixing, but thats your call to make ,
there is a thread here that explains the entire M frame generations , but yours are NOT gen1 ,, they are “New” m frames.
Ill try to link the thread

While I only show the underside in the photos I took of the hinges for another member, the overall appearance isn't bad. It's a shame the color is rare enough that my hopes of finding a stem that's a match are few. Anyway, painting them sounds fun... Correct me if I'm wrong, but some stems snap in for the New M Frame (like mine) while others may not. So, I have to be careful what I buy!

That i will have to check on but i do believe that is correct, it will be easy to tell from a picture comparing yours to the one you will possibly buy . Always look carefully at pics and ask for more if your not sure , but no one here will sell you the wrong one

Back