• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Watches (other than Oakley) You're Wearing Today

You can never over wound a top quality swiss automatic especially omegas or rolexes. Plus if you can purchase a 5k up watches what is a couple hundred for a winder....
no matter what it's still metal. the innards of a watch are metal and by putting them in a winder you're stressing all those metal parts. a BMW car that cost 150K still need to be repaired if you use it everyday and reaches a certain hundreds of thousands of miles but when you store it in the garage (no stress on the engine) it will go longer...... I'd rather save the money for the winder towards another watch. just my 2 cents.....

4572B2B0-6F3A-4E65-AA0C-9DEBB51A25C4.png

Smh..... prolly you love your eco-drives so much!
oh yes, I do love them. I've got more than 20 of them and I can pick up anyone of them and it will keep on ticking. I just need light and it will keep on giving me time.

by the way the issue Is not about over wound - I know they have a clutch to help with over wound. the issue is about putting stress on a metal spring/mechanism of your watch by putting them on a winder. imagine keeping the spring/mechanism moving continuously 24/7 for years. - that's my issue with a winder. I've got automatic watches also but I never put them on a winder. I pick them up adjust the time for like 15 seconds and I am all set. I want my automatic watches mechanism to rest.

for reference one of a nice articles about it....

"In closing if you really want one, get one. Just be aware of the potential damage you risk and the dramatic shortening of service intervals as the wheels and lubricants are all put through their paces. Most watchmakers say the best advice is to let your watch wind down and not to keep it highly stressed. You wouldn’t leave your car idling in the garage all the time just so it was warmed up and ready to drive, so with your watch enjoy the physical interaction of picking it up, winding it and setting the time."

peace too my friend. no harm..... just my 2 cents again....

Back