• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Wearing NO temple shocks

What is the best way to loosen the tune-up?

Sand down the flex coupler until you get the needed “Flex for your face”? (Insert Ricky Bobby “trademark” here)

Trimming down the rubber thickness with a blade seems tedious....

I also have one XS that are super tight (almost zero flex) and want to squeeze your brain actively while wearing.
Another current daily XS that flex much more, but are still secure on the face, comfortable.

The flexibiliy/hinging of the X-Metals is one of their amazing design qualities....

I agree when I wear freshly tuned x metals particularly the x squared it feels like squeezing my head.. but just like shoes breaking them in makes them feel more comfortable over time

I agree when I wear freshly tuned x metals particularly the x squared it feels like squeezing my head.. but just like shoes breaking them in makes them feel more comfortable over time

Than you're having the wrong person tune them

My 3 Juliets are all different. My Carbons are the only ones I bought new and have had them for 10 years. I never really felt they needed a tune up till I started collecting more. Now they feel loose as ****, to the point I will probably be shipping them off in the near future for a tune. My XM Juliet is very tight when putting on but feels great on my face, no pinching but you can tell its stiff. My plasma Juliet is factory tight, has just a little wiggle but not loose and by far the most comfy of the 3. My new XX is what I'd call factory loose. Just barely loose not quite tight, quite a way from needing a tune at all. My XS is perfect. Hardly any flex but not tight either. Goes on and off easily and doesn't pinch. The good thing about XS is you have a lot of DIY options to fix it to your liking. One part of me wishes they had thought of the self tune hex screw method earlier, but damned if I don't love how those rivets look in the bridge of Juliet, XX, Mars, R2.

Luckily I don't see either of my R1s needing a tune any time soon.......bwahahahahah. Sorry couldn't resist :rofl:

But seriously, don't go in bareback on the temples use rubbers (ok not so serious), you can fix the bridge on an XS to your liking.

Than you're having the wrong person tune them

I’ve actually never sent a pair in sir.. just bought stuff off exchange where seller said “freshly tuned “

But I do have 3-4 Juliet’s that haven’t been bridge tuned since I bought them 15 + years ago that are pretty loose.. will get them snugged up and report back

I think a common misconception is that "Factory Tight" means "Rigid as f*ck". Anytime i bought an X-Metal from an O-store or direct from HQ, there is give in the frame.. As titanium doesn't have any give, the flex couplers are designed to allow the frame to flex and then using the temple shocks help adjust for head size.

I'm sure most of you know this, but then again, there's the guys here that are sending them into 3rd party tuning services and they come back as if they wedged a rock where the flex coupler is supposed to go.

Oh and i'm speaking from experience as i just bought a pair that had an aftermarket tune (won't name names) and it's so tight that i can't wear it. So it just sits to look pretty. I'm contemplating sending it in to get re-tuned by someone of my choosing.

I think a common misconception is that "Factory Tight" means "Rigid as f*ck". Anytime i bought an X-Metal from an O-store or direct from HQ, there is give in the frame.. As titanium doesn't have any give, the flex couplers are designed to allow the frame to flex and then using the temple shocks help adjust for head size.

I'm sure most of you know this, but then again, there's the guys here that are sending them into 3rd party tuning services and they come back as if they wedged a rock where the flex coupler is supposed to go.

Oh and i'm speaking from experience as i just bought a pair that had an aftermarket tune (won't name names) and it's so tight that i can't wear it. So it just sits to look pretty. I'm contemplating sending it in to get re-tuned by someone of my choosing.

Ive recently had the same issue.

Who tuned it?