• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Oakleys don't have this problem?

James

Oakley Beginner
Hi, first post.

I have had a few Oakley models in the past including Scalpel, Gascan, Eyepatch, flak jackets and my favourites being the Iron wood Tangents with Polarized VR28 black iridium.

My current pair are Fuel Cell Tortoise Shell bronze polarized and I have the same issue albeit better than the previous models barring the Tangents in that I can see part of my own eye reflecting in the lenses.

I found it to be worst with black iridium I guess being a dark base colour.

Are there any models or lenses or both that eliminate this annoying issue?

What about aftermarket lenses?

I notice the pit bosses come with a backside AR coating to help with this issue.

Thanks

If I've learnt anything from reading on this forum ( and from JJ himself) is that aftermarket lenses are a big NO-NO ... If you can spring it, go for Original Oakley lenses ... The lens clarity is second to none ...

As for being able to see your own eye reflection ... Maybe you wear the frames too far away on your face/nose ... I been wearing RX glasses for 25+ years and Oak's since 2001, ive never had that problem ...

Thanks for the tip.

So in theory to get the frames closer to my face, the bridge would have to be wider?

I've seen some Tens with the VR28 non iridium polarized lens, how would they compare to the Fuel cells I have now fit wise?

Thanks

I'm not sure if it has to do with how close or far away the lenses sit from your face. Right now I have a pair of Fuel Cells and a pair of Jawbones. I can see the reflection of my eyes in the Jawbones, which sit very close to my face, but I can't see the reflection of my eyes in the Fuel Cells, which sit further from my face. The lenses in my Fuel Cells are Jade Iridium. The lenses in my Jawbones are Black Iridium (non-vented) and Grey (vented), and I can see the reflection in both of those tints in the Jawbone, so I'm not sure if lens tint has anything to do with it.

My theory is that it might have something to do with the curvature of the lens and the way it relates to the shape of your face. I'm not really sure though. The bottom line is that I really wish Oakley would put the AR coating on all of its lenses, and not just Pit Boss and prescription lenses.

Edit: Also, nice combo with the Tortoise Shell / Bronze Fuel Cells...I really like that combo.

That's a really good point about the lenses, worth a try with the jades.

I did read that perhaps a lighter base coat would help.

Thanks, the bronze is a really nice tint and at 15% is just right for most conditions.

Thinking back to the Tangents, I don't recall suffering the reflection issue, gutted I dropped them and scratched the lenses!!

It really depends on your face, not the frame. Some people cant see there reflection while they are wearing Oakleys, while others like me have that happen no matter what the frame.

Back