• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Will this damage my frames?

CyclopsFan92

Oakley Enthusiast
Hello, everyone. First time Oakley owner and poster here. After a 20 year wait, I have finally made my first Oakley purchase: X-Metal Juliets, serial X023209. I also have resin sideblinders for them, which have been painted to a 99% color match. However, since the blinders don't quite hold to my face, I was thinking of using Blu Tack or something similar to hold them in place without making them permanent, should I ever need to replace the rubbers or lenses. Will doing this damage my frames at all in any way?
dc64cc15d63166ac81d1205ede191487.jpg
80fe633f88198deff8e94f4c02d5d3a1.jpg
5970cf64be722e6924d3ace06493e6e8.jpg

Greetings & Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

Are you asking if the blu tack/adhesive/etc... will damage the X-Metal finish I doubt it. That said I cannot say for certain, as I'm not sure what finish you have on your pair. presuming it is new/factory that should not be a problem, but some of the refinish jobs I've seen over the years could be problematic. If you go with the blu I'd start with a minimal amount. If the blinders fit you should not need much of that stuff.

I'd be careful not to get any blu in places it does not need to be, near the hinges, screws, and avoid contact with the lenses as that could upset them in addition to impacting vision. That will make your future maintenance easier when, not if, you need it.

Happy Saturday!

@MJLSr the finish is just the factory X-Metal.

@mjt42 I'd love to have a pair of X-Metal or Titanium Pennys as well haha.

@THE X-MAN Yes, I know not to drive with them, but thank you for the warning! Would a silicone adhesive still allow me to remove the blinders and not ruin the finish? I've never used that stuff before.

Back