• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Your Personal "Greatest Sports Moments"

Orion

I hit things with sticks....
After watching some sports highlights on the interweb.....it brought be back to some personal "great sports moments".

So.....if you care to share your personal moments here, please do.

These would be moments involving you or a family member.

I have 3-

Me:

Jr year H.S. basketball, we were playing in our last game against an undefeated team in our conference (we were a small div. 3 school). We hung with them all game. 9 seconds left in the game, they were up 1 and one of their best free throw shooters was fouled. This was back before H.S. had 3 pointers (ya I know a long time ago). He hits the first. He misses the second, I grab the rebound and take off with clock ticking in my head (back then our H.S. only had 1 scoreboard). When my countdown hit to I pulled up for a 16footer and nailed it. OVERTIME!

We hold the ball just over 2 of the 3 mins (no shot clock back then either). We call a time out and setup a play where I come from the opposite block off a screen get the ball high and try to score. Only problem is they are in a triangle and 2 with one guy on me and the top of the triangle just above free throw line. Screen comes and picks the guy on me but I had to swing wider to get past the top of the "triangle" and as I make my cut I slip and fall just as the ball is getting in bounded. Somehow when I hit the floor I was able to pop back on my feet, get the ball, spin dribble, pull up with defender on me and drain an 18 footer.

I forget how much time was left on the clock, maybe 30 seconds but we held on to win.

My Daughter:

Her first volleyball game as a freshman in high school. The team didn't have a lot of skill, there were very few "kills" and tons of service errors. She played well but I could see her passion for the game and was a leader on the court. I was proud as this was the first sports team she played for since age of 7 (girls softball). After the game she came over to me with a big smile (mine was just as big) and we had a huge hug.

My Son:

A few years ago son was 12 playing for a travel basketball team . After their regular season they made the playoffs and found their way into the finals. They were loosing most of the game and with a bit of luck found themselves down by only 1 with 18 seconds left. Coach drew up a play but they didn't come close to following it. They got the ball inbounds to one of their point guards, he dribbled down passed to my son who just turned and shot a 13 footer. Nothing but net. He was their number 5 an usually played around the hoop. They lasted the last 9 seconds and went on to win. Luckily I have this on video and I have probably watched it 1000 times.

5th grade: I was on a swim team and when I dove in on my first race, my speedo fell off...I forgot to tie it. My speedo just floated away, I finished the race and hopped out of the pool buck-naked. Standing there for all to admire my trouser-snake. I smiled and waved at everyone like I won the race, even though I took 5th out of 8.

I'm hung like a wilderbeast so I enjoyed this moment. Best day ever. :spiteful:

5th grade: I was on a swim team and when I dove in on my first race, my speedo fell off...I forgot to tie it. My speedo just floated away, I finished the race and hopped out of the pool buck-naked. Standing there for all to admire my trouser-snake. I smiled and waved at everyone like I won the race, even though I took 5th out of 8.

:lol::rofl::gotcha:

So how many dates did you get that weekend?

In all seriousness, I played on a pop warner football team in the late 90's that won a state championship (called thw Kumkwat Bowl). We just handed the ball to our tailback every single play and none of the other kids on the other teams could tackle him. His name was Brandon Marshall, he plays for the New York Jets right now:).

Tbh nothing of real worth, especially if someone shows up with some college experience:

Grade school:

Played against Robin Williams' son. People kept saying "Look it's Robin Williams!" and I couldn't spot him. Then word got out "We're playing his son!" Then it was "IONO WHO IT IS THOOOO", then I believe we already sealed the game and coach let everyone go up the field late since some of us were basically standing around for most of the game (I was usually a full back/wing back). I heard a pretty...animated kid chasing me down as I was improvising offense for the first time....

In middle school my team went undefeated in basketball. Part of the class was hating and thought we played a watered-down division (we had 3 teams in my class) because we had some nerds on the roster. Took it to the school yard and well, surpine. Who knew that a dynamic offense without relying on chucking would come out on top?

Going into high school I went to coaching to pad my volunteer hours. Just playing pickup otherwise.

Even though I've been most invested into cycling, I've never really found a will to compete. Already knew what legit fast looked like on weekend rides, and I never found myself consistent enough since none of my training could be structured well enough to start — always "beat sundown right after I get home from school", and that could be less than an hour on some days just hammering out hill repeats. Met Alberto Contador at an event, though.

Senior year, 1998...playing an out of district tournament...

Stepped up to the batter's box against a guy from Spring High School that threw 97mph...

We had heard about him all year because there was a really good chance he was going to drafted #1 overall...

He had previously ruined everyone on our team with nasty pitches, me included...

I hit 3rd in the lineup, so when I stepped in, I was 0-2 with 2 strikeouts...

This time, I beat him !!! I got jammed and grounded out to the second baseman...hands were on fire, but hey, he didn't make me take a seat this time...

TAKE THAT, JOSH BECKETT !!!!

Back