• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Crater Freak Accident

Looks like the diameter of the holes in the bridge were wobbled out a bit.the pin may start to find its way out eventually.

:headbang:

You can send them to @THE X-MAN
:headbang: Thanks, I'll keep that in mind:headbang:

On the bright side they didn't lose them or break them. Enjoy them and send them out next time.
Totally agreed right there and will enjoy it. So far they my favorite. By the way, not sure who to contact to add the leather to the Crater.

It's an easy fix send it to xman. Problem solved.
Right on, should have ask you guys before. Wasn't expecting this kind of issue.

Send to xman...

4517481.jpg

Doesn't look like the nose bridge hole has been damaged to me. Possibly they pressed the pins in not completely straight and sheared off part of the pin in the process. The pin will normally take damage before the titanium will. Also if they used oem pins its not the outside of the nose that retains the pin. Its the backside of the nose. There is a rib on near the back of the pin that retains the pin against the inside of the back side of the nose. I've had a few frames in tho that I've seen pins used that didn't have the rib on the pin and the pins were a bit oversized and damaged the backside of the nose bridge to the point oem spec pins would no longer hold. Not sure who the manufacturer of the pins were but then had to find oversized pins to put back in so they would stay secure. The photo of the pin that came out was probably stuck in the frame. Occasoinally when they were pressed in at the factory they weren't pressed in straight which shears off a small amount of the pin and makes a lip on the pin inside the nose causing the nose pin to become stuck in the nose. About every 10 to 15 frames I take apart seem to have it happen. Not the fault of who was taking the pin out just happens with these sometimes.

Last edited:
Also as they stated there is a bit of difference between some models. Penny nose bridges seem a bit thicker so the outside of the nose pins never seem to sit out flush like they do on other frames. They always seem a slightly sunken into the frame. As how it looks compared to the juliet and penny in your photos.

Doesn't look like the nose bridge hole has been damaged to me. Possibly they pressed the pins in not completely straight and sheared off part of the pin in the process. The pin will normally take damage before the titanium will. Also if they used oem pins its not the outside of the nose that retains the pin. Its the backside of the nose. There is a rib on near the back of the pin that retains the pin against the inside of the back side of the nose. I've had a few frames in tho that I've seen pins used that didn't have the rib on the pin and the pins were a bit oversized and damaged the backside of the nose bridge to the point oem spec pins would no longer hold. Not sure who the manufacturer of the pins were but then had to find oversized pins to put back in so they would stay secure. The photo of the pin that came out was probably stuck in the frame. Occasoinally when they were pressed in at the factory they weren't pressed in straight which shears off a small amount of the pin and makes a lip on the pin inside the nose causing the nose pin to become stuck in the nose. About every 10 to 15 frames I take apart seem to have it happen. Not the fault of who was taking the pin out just happens with these sometimes.
Agreed. I've seen a few go crooked and that's exactly what it looks like after you get it out of the frame.

Every one of these things truly is unique. I did a sub 1k X Serial Juliet a few weeks ago that was honesty a bitch but did a Finito today and was able to push the pins in by hand, until that last thrust needed to lock the rib against the back of the bridge that Zack was talking about. Gotta have a tool for that.

Agreed. I've seen a few go crooked and that's exactly what it looks like after you get it out of the frame.

Every one of these things truly is unique. I did a sub 1k X Serial Juliet a few weeks ago that was honesty a bitch but did a Finito today and was able to push the pins in by hand, until that last thrust needed to lock the rib against the back of the bridge that Zack was talking about. Gotta have a tool for that.
What tools do you use? Do you use the linegear one or something else? Just interested would probably be to scared to try it on any of my frames when I know I can send the off to a pro but would be fun to try on a beater one day.

What tools do you use? Do you use the linegear one or something else? Just interested would probably be to scared to try it on any of my frames when I know I can send the off to a pro but would be fun to try on a beater one day.
It's the same one they sell but from aliexpress. There are a few threads about it. A few other member have them too.

Back