• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Crater Freak Accident

I started with a tool I owned already and made attachments for it for pressing pins in and out
Do you have pics or is it a closely guarded secret? Do you offer a tune up service to international members nobody in the UK seems to do it I know the xman does tune ups for a friend of mine seems like a service in high demand

Here's what I use. The attachments are getting a bit rough time to make a new set but works great for me. Easy to hold and you can feel how hard your pressing the pin back in. 2nd pic is pressing pins out. 3rd pic is pressing pins in.

IMG_20170301_210550.jpg

IMG_20170301_210616.jpg

IMG_20170301_210631.jpg

Doesn't look like the nose bridge hole has been damaged to me. Possibly they pressed the pins in not completely straight and sheared off part of the pin in the process. The pin will normally take damage before the titanium will. Also if they used oem pins its not the outside of the nose that retains the pin. Its the backside of the nose. There is a rib on near the back of the pin that retains the pin against the inside of the back side of the nose. I've had a few frames in tho that I've seen pins used that didn't have the rib on the pin and the pins were a bit oversized and damaged the backside of the nose bridge to the point oem spec pins would no longer hold. Not sure who the manufacturer of the pins were but then had to find oversized pins to put back in so they would stay secure. The photo of the pin that came out was probably stuck in the frame. Occasoinally when they were pressed in at the factory they weren't pressed in straight which shears off a small amount of the pin and makes a lip on the pin inside the nose causing the nose pin to become stuck in the nose. About every 10 to 15 frames I take apart seem to have it happen. Not the fault of who was taking the pin out just happens with these sometimes.
@zwc0442 Thanks for educating on the pin, as you mention if the pin isn't align straight the lip pin would fall off. Seem like it's really a gamble or matter of fact just luck to removed these. And still curious of the Oakley Official tools to removed the pin actually looks like.

By the way, here's more photo of the Crater rivet. A different view.
20170302_131024.jpg
20170302_131017.jpg
20170302_131028.jpg

It's the same one they sell but from aliexpress. There are a few threads about it. A few other member have them too.
Super brave to attempt on repairing the coupler, been reading your tread as well and everything seems to revolved on patients.
Here's what I use. The attachments are getting a bit rough time to make a new set but works great for me. Easy to hold and you can feel how hard your pressing the pin back in. 2nd pic is pressing pins out. 3rd pic is pressing pins in.

View attachment 317356

View attachment 317357

View attachment 317358

Thanks for sharing the tooling, first time seeing it actually and the modification to seem intense. I also notice with the plastic ring is to prevent from scratching the frame?

Personally on the mars I'd just leave em as they are till they need to be tuned up again. If you do eventually have a problem with the nose pins coming loose then send them in for a tune up. But until then just wear em and enjoy them.

Back