• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Juliet Ruby Lens Question

For comparison purposes, the 3 on the right are OEM old school Ruby and the ones on the left are obviously new Ruby"
dsc_0022-jpg.144092.jpg

Purple is the dominant hue in the old, more coveted first gen Rubies. To me yours look more like 2nd gen Ruby; they still retained some nice purple- but Fire started seeping in. Still a great hue!

Great comparison pics. It's just so difficult to tell without a point of reference. And pics aren't always the best indicators since lighting and camera can change the perception. Thank you for the input, everyone!

Alright guys, I have spoken to the OP and advised to keep his also. I also mentioned and he concurs that taking pictures of lens colors really only works with daylight and shade with something black behind them. Any other way of picture taking changes the hues to where comparing them to anything is very difficult or impossible. Here is a picture I post every time a new thread is made on the 1st gen Ruby lenses. This is probably the 100th thread covering them. Factual information ---- The lenses used in the X Man and in Black Hawk Down were coated with a specialized color to where the actors got headaches wearing them and the could barely see out of them. So in other words they were NOT OEM Oakley lenses. However Oakley did come close to them with the original rubies. Here is a pic I took of mine (they are safely put away to never see daylight again) where I was comparing Pos red lenses on the left, 1st gen Ruby middle, and Fruby on the right. Should have added a Fire to the mix but didnt that day. Here is the picture to go by:

OEM Ruby Comp.JPG

Wow! The Ruby and the Fruby are so close. Like I said. Point of reference. I'm hoping to be able to do the same when InfiniteHero sends my Juliets back with my new lenses.

Dang those lenses look amazing, I need to get me another pair of Ruby lenses but I have to save up first.

Is there much of a difference from the inside looking out?

I received my Juliets back from being refreshed and having the new Custom Cut Ruby lenses put in. I must say that I'm very happy with the results. The new lenses are a bit lighter from an appearance standpoint, but looking through them is exactly what I was hoping for. Yesterday was a bit of a hazy/overcast day, the type of day that I would not be able to wear my original Ruby lenses, but with the newer cut lenses, I had no problem. Everything was clear & detailed and I was not struggling at all to see into the darker shadows, yet, when the sun did come out, they still did a great job of reducing the glare and brightness.

Because it is still overcast today, I have not taken any pics yet to put up my comparison photos, but you can definitely tell that there is a difference, but the difference is not as much as I thought it would be.

This is probably the 100th thread covering them. Factual information ---- The lenses used in the X Man and in Black Hawk Down were coated with a specialized color to where the actors got headaches wearing them and the could barely see out of them.
I'd heard the actor from X men say that, was the same true of BHD then? I've only seen it once or twice and never alone so I could pause at the sunnies!

Latest Posts

Back