• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Polarized Lenses

nuun

Oakley Beginner
so I bought a pair of black iridium polarized lenses on a half jacket 2.0

when I hold them from the front view and the background is white on my laptop, I can see streaks of rainbow colors

HOWEVER, the left and right lenses do not have the same pattern of streaks, even I invert the lenses upside down

I thought oakley claims they bake the 2 lenses at the same time in the same mould ; more reasons then for both lenses to have the same pattern of streaks of the lenses!!!

can someone with polarized lenses try the same experiment above?

If it's just the lenses I bought I'm going for an exchange (and bring my laptop over to show the oakley staffs):blink:

does it impair your vision in any way or anything? if when i put my glasses on and i dont see any difference it wouldnt be a big deal, but thats just me.

it does not impair the vision; oakley claims oakley superiority and claims they bake both lenses in the same mould ; I wanted to ask if it's just my pair of shades or if you guys noticed this effect

I won't see the rainbow streaks if I wear the shades

only when viewed from front

this tells me that both lenses reflect polarized light differently; who knows if that strains the left/right eyes

I think you're worrying about nothing.

Half Jacket grey polarized
2012-04-29163505.jpg

M Frame black iridium polarized
2012-04-29163543.jpg

I KNOW the M lens is cut all at once and the 'rainbow' is not consistent from side to side. If I remove the lens from the frame and give it a little bend the rainbow changes dramatically.

Just remember the polarizing filters are setup to block reflected and intense light coming from a flat horizontal surface like the road or water and coming from the front of the lens. LCD displays throw light in every direction, so since the filter is not in every direction you're blocking some scattered light in part of the spectrum across a curved lens, it's not going to be uniform.

the rainbow patterns can also be residual stress on the lens; only oakley has the real answer

my black iridium polarized have about the same rainbow patterns

I know where you're coming from, but why does it matter when you're looking through the lenses from front on? No one obviously wears them that way....

Its unlikely but u may be one of us that just cant wear polarized... I thought I was the only one til former manager of nearby Vault had same problem..instant migraine -to me what people see is tripled and wet/glass things were literally flashing at me...Unless u plan to fish I have never found the difference to be that much anyway with people I talked to...not 60-80 dollars worth of difference...

Its unlikely but u may be one of us that just cant wear polarized... I thought I was the only one til former manager of nearby Vault had same problem..instant migraine -to me what people see is tripled and wet/glass things were literally flashing at me...Unless u plan to fish I have never found the difference to be that much anyway with people I talked to...not 60-80 dollars worth of difference...

You can't wear polarized lenses? What are your eyes like (ie do you have astigmatism or anything)? I'm a little hesitant about getting a pair of polarized lenses now that I hear that.

No I wouldnt be.. I do have an astygmatisn ,Color Blindness -525/-600 eyes but also something called Vestibular Neuritis which sounds deadly but its just really an eye/ ear/ head problem that causes vision problems and serious DIZZINESS if left untreated...there are only 2 dr's in Ct that see patients for this and it is extremely rare. 6 years ago I had like 8 sinus infections in 1 winter and was left with this Meds take away 95% of it but I cant look at 3d things either and strobe lights destroy me...However The Wrentham MA Vault's former manager just plain got Migraines from Polarization I have heard its about 1 in 50 people...My father hunted for years and preferred NON polar always...I am sure u wil be fine but if it REALLY bothers u try to compare the 2. A happy moment was when I switched out all my Polar lenses and loved Oakley again..up to that point I did not know what was going on...also depth perception is made worse for me by it... This is RARE though and not the experience of most people on here I'd say

Back