• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Post Pics Of Your Guns And Glasses

A sidearm is supposed to be a last resort or when your rifle/ shotgun are too long for CQC.
Too many people want their pistols to shoot 1/4 miniute at 100 yards and if a combatant is that far away that shot shouldn't be taken because he's not a threat or you bring up your rifle and take the shot at those ranges.
I believe each gun owner should have 3 weapons.
A rifle,pistol,and shotgun.
Those three will serve the purpose for any situation

Everything you said here is 1000000% right. Spot on. I am always asked what the best kind of handgun is suited for home defense. The answer…..NONE! A handgun is only kept next to you…or in your nightstand so that you are able to reach a long gun. Be it a shot gun or a rifle. Both are excellent options. For someone who is not that proficient with firearms, I always suggest to them to get some kind of pump action shot gun. Side/side and over/under shotguns are for sport….not for HD. If someone is more familiar with firearms, I think one of the best HD tools is a SBR….be it an AR or AK platform. I favor a 12” SBR (Wilson) in .300 BLK. It is tight and compact and lets you clear a room very easily. And you can get magazines that can hold 100 rounds if you want. But like X-Man said….the handgun is there until you can get to your long gun, or if your long gun fails and need to keep fighting…so there you have your handgun. Anything past 10-15 yards….long gun. And if the threat is father away…it’s not really a threat anymore. So use your best judgement because answering that question wrong will throw your ass in jail.

My system…I keep a Glock 20 (10mm) with extended mags (17+1) in my nightstand. I also keep magazines stashed around the house. And yes…I live alone without any children. Going back to what the best handgun is for HD….I would have to say a Glock for the average home owner. No external safeties to get confused with. The holster is the safety. Keep it hot with one round in the chamber in a secure holster that fully covers the trigger guard. The safety is considered “off” once the pistol is out the holster. And I say Glock because they ALWAYS go bang. As much as I love my 1911s, I still feel more comfortable with a Glock for self defense. That….and most Glocks are double stacked and hold double/triple the capacity of a single stack 1911. I am used to a 1911 and am fine with one or the other…but for one who doesn’t have 20+ years of training and experience…keep it simple and stick with a Glock….IMHO. Sig, HK, FN, and S&W also make some nice pieces…but I have a lot of faith in the simplicity of a Glock. A HK and a SIG are better made pistols and are more accurate….but again, simplicity and ease of use goes to to Glock. All the time.

My BUG (back up gun) is always a G27. In the summer, it’s sometimes my primary. But at home...and when in doubt. Shotty or AR.

Harry

Shotguns are soooo cheap too...

Need to get me one to have in the house...
I have an 870, 11-87 police, and plan to pick up an 1100 20ga for clay games. Along with a few family guns (a 20ga O/U that was my dad's, and a 16ga bolt action that was my grandfather's). Not really interested in much else.

I'm really not a shotgun fan. They're versatile, but the skill and training to wield them appropriately as versatile offensive weapons is outside my interest. I have enough trying to handle pistol skill, carbine skill (arguably the easiest to be adequately effective), and precision rifle skill. And most ranges aren't interested in letting you pattern a shotgun, so knowing how your buckshot performs at range and working through various loads to determine proper shot control and placement is hard to come by. Not to mention adequate training on the higher-recoiling loads most people would look to in a SHTF scenario.

So, for me, shotguns are close defensive tools (under 15 yards) where patterning isn't as neccessary, or bird/game guns.

People seem to have some notion that a shotgun would be some ultimate tool. They buy a nice scattergun, load it out, shoot it a few times, and set it away should the need ever arise. But no training means reloading is a mess, shot placement outside of close distance is guess work, recoil control and follow-up shot time/accuracy is compromised, and extended use is an exercise is masochism.

Carbines are much easier to work with. Fitment and posture are nowhere near as critical, recoil is manageable even under awkward conditions, shot placement is easily determined, ranges allow easy zeroing and load calibration over varying distances, even slow reloads are generally fairly quick. A shooter with basic firearm fundamentals (trigger control, sight alignment, etc) can be effective from 5-200 yards. Add in minimal long range skill and the effective engagement distance stretches to 600 yards. More than enough for everything from home defense, hunting, riots, zombies, TEOTWAKI.

I still prefer a carbine over most anything else for HD. However, I still think the best tool to give a woman with little experience is a pump action shotgun. She doesn't need to have surgical accuracy to hit her target. But she does have to be familiar with the recoil, sound, and range of how to use it. Ammo is also vital with a scatter gun...00 BUCK might sound good, but not if you have children in adjacent rooms. You want loads that wont go through countless sheets or sheetrock. It really depends on the house, who is in it, their experience, distance to neighbors, etc. A lot of factors come into play when making a "plan" on when the SHTF at home. What works for a single woman in a studio apartment in the city might not be the best plan for family on a ranch out in the country.

I got my Glock 22 .40 with 21 rounds on my nightstand sitting next to my 1911 .45 ACP...

The AR15 is in the closet and the G27 is downstairs next to the computer...

I keep my G27 in my pocket on the weekends and in my car going to and from work...when I get home, it's sitting next to the computer in a 3-ring binder...

So, 2 night stand pieces and an AR in the closet :) (but not right now, because the G22, 11 and AR are all at cerakote)

A sidearm is supposed to be a last resort or when your rifle/ shotgun are too long for CQC.
Too many people want their pistols to shoot 1/4 miniute at 100 yards and if a combatant is that far away that shot shouldn't be taken because he's not a threat or you bring up your rifle and take the shot at those ranges.
I believe each gun owner should have 3 weapons.
A rifle,pistol,and shotgun
Those three will serve the purpose for any situation

:rofl:

Sh!t, why stop there, halloween is coming up, and to stop those pesky beggars, i have placed two Claymores in the front yard.

I got my Glock 22 .40 with 21 rounds on my nightstand sitting next to my 1911 .45 ACP...

The AR15 is in the closet and the G27 is downstairs next to the computer...

I keep my G27 in my pocket on the weekends and in my car going to and from work...when I get home, it's sitting next to the computer in a 3-ring binder...

So, 2 night stand pieces and an AR in the closet :) (but not right now, because the G22, 11 and AR are all at cerakote)

Careful with the cerekote on the 1911....if not done right, you can mess with the proper tollerances and it will turn into a Les Baer. lol

Harry

All 3 of your weapons should have a lighting system .you don't take a shot if you don't know what it is you're shooting at.

All 3 of your weapons should have a lighting system .you don't take a shot if you don't know what it is you're shooting at.
I got a TLR6 on my G27

I got a TLR1 on my 1911...

Need to get a TLR6 for my G22...

And I'll eventually get something for my AR

For now, the hall lights that stay on 24/7 is more than adequate :)

I love the 877...does that AR have a Spike's lower? Here are a few toys I have....I think I may have shared these pics before. Not sure if it was here.....

Yugo underfolder.....

20140911_173634.jpg

The all mighty .308....one of the most effective rounds to reach out and touch someone with!!

20140911_181103-1.jpg

This is my most recent build....12" .300 BLK VLTOR upper. Currently with a SigBrace until the stamp arrives (waiting on more parts)....

AR.pistol.jpg

Old school Colts 1911 (.45 & .38 Super)...

oldcolts.jpg

Glock 20 (with KKM barrel), 27, 17...

Glocks2.jpg

Uzi Pistol (chambered in .45acp)...

P1010497.JPG

The G27 set up. Pistol with 2 BU mags gives me almost 70 rounds of .40 lead to throw at the BG.

G27.jpg

upper and lower are DSA.i got the eotech for half price with my industry pro staff pricing, both shotty and AR have sure fire x300 lighting systems. Everything on the AR is magpul

Latest Posts

Back