• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

VL Lenses.......

I still don't understand. Maybe I should check my Purple Polarized lenses.

I didn't either. I mean, the closest thing I could equate this with is how despite say VR28 Black Iridium Polarized and Black Iridium being the same transmission, the fact the VR28 is a heavy contrast lens can make things APPEAR brighter (at least to my eye). I would love you to compare your silver ice to the purple and let us know what you think.

I think you're missing the point here. There are a lot of older styles that Oakley no longer makes lenses for and some people don't want to chunk their frames so aftermarket companies like Exovista help those people by making lenses for those styles and in certain cases with special colors that weren't ever available to begin with.

Doesn't getting aftermarket lenses defeat the main point for getting Oakleys? What's next, start wearing Foakleys because they're cheaper too?

In many regards yes, Oakley optics are a huge part of what makes Oakley what it is. The main point? Maybe more now that the designs have gone vanilla vs the edgy designs of the past. However, there is a huge difference between aftermarket lenses and fake frames not the least of which is that in many regards aftermarket lenses are better to look AT than OEM (if someone can explain to me why Oakley can't get their lenses to look the way some of the aftermarkets do I'm listening) whereas no way fake frames are like that. Also, remember that a) many lens options are not available on many models b) many are not aware of services like those provided by Dr. Chop or are and cannot afford $100 for a custom cut c) many frames no longer have OEM available such as the Romeo 1 d) many use aftermarket for display e) certain colors are liked but perhaps transmit too much light in the OEM version (G26 vs Exovista Hyper Green for example). Personally I try to avoid non OEM though doing so on 4 of my frames cost $430 which is far from cheap...but currently I'm considering buying a Polished X Squared pulling the VR28 and installing aftermarket Hyper Green because I want the G26 look that can be worn at all times and for $30, why not.

Part of it is also is if you need a beater lenses. Pallets lenses are 60 and up for many models. If I am scratching the hell out of my Oakley lenses it gets pricey. I usually get a couple of months out of a lens and sometimes less. I buy flak jackets for the frames and when the lenses are scratched enough to where It affects my shooting I put after market lenses on. Lenses don't have warranties like the frames do. If I could get Oakley lenses for 20.00 a set I would. Now when I am not at the ranges or going to scratch them then I wear Oakley lenses.

Part of it is also is if you need a beater lenses. Pallets lenses are 60 and up for many models. If I am scratching the hell out of my Oakley lenses it gets pricey. I usually get a couple of months out of a lens and sometimes less. I buy flak jackets for the frames and when the lenses are scratched enough to where It affects my shooting I put after market lenses on. Lenses don't have warranties like the frames do. If I could get Oakley lenses for 20.00 a set I would. Now when I am not at the ranges or going to scratch them then I wear Oakley lenses.

I have a set of M-Frames that have been to the range with me dozens of times and have seen thousands of rounds. They could likely pass for new except for a single scratch from ricochet. What are you doing that kills lenses so fast?

Not just yout typical shooting at range. We teach tactical shooting including shooting from helicopters, vehicles, sand, mud, and anything you can think of just about. We are in sandy areas and the wash from the helicopters tend to scratch the lenses as does sandy mud.

BTW my wife confiscated my flak jacket the last time I got back from Iraq. The finish on the frame is all bubbled and flaking off. Oakley is going to replace them for a nominal fee as soon as I get more glasses in she can wear. I am quite rough on my duty shades or work shades.

Edit Flak Jacket not half x

Not just yout typical shooting at range. We teach tactical shooting including shooting from helicopters, vehicles, sand, mud, and anything you can think of just about. We are in sandy areas and the wash from the helicopters tend to scratch the lenses as does sandy mud.

BTW my wife confiscated my half x the last time I got back from Iraq. The finish on the frame is all bubbled and flaking off. Oakley is going to replace them for a nominal fee as soon as I get more glasses in she can wear. I am quite rough on my duty shades or work shades.

Gives new meaning to the phrase "sandblasting"

Back