• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Advice on eBay offers?

What I’ve found is that on eBay sellers often have a value for items which isn’t that close to market value - convincing people their items are worth less than they perceive is pretty tough, but without being too pushy you can copy links of other similar items that have sold (or if the only ones available with a higher price have not sold, highlight this) to show that you know what you’re talking about.

Ultimately if someone has a set figure in mind for their item it’s going to be almost impossible to convince them otherwise, but being patient and providing a bit of evidence or info to back up how reasonable your offer is goes a long way :)

What I’ve found is that on eBay sellers often have a value for items which isn’t that close to market value - convincing people their items are worth less than they perceive is pretty tough, but without being too pushy you can copy links of other similar items that have sold (or if the only ones available with a higher price have not sold, highlight this) to show that you know what you’re talking about.

Ultimately if someone has a set figure in mind for their item it’s going to be almost impossible to convince them otherwise, but being patient and providing a bit of evidence or info to back up how reasonable your offer is goes a long way :)
Great advice. I'll make sure to combine this with the threats and claiming I'm poor next time.

On a serious note though, eBay sellers definitely appear - as you described implicitly - stubborn, setting an exorbitantly high price for unknown reasons and then expect people to buy although it's been sitting for months. If only people would refer to sold listings before determining their special little mass-produced Oakley watch is the most unique among them all.

Another issue with eBay is you can end up with this little microcosm where multiple sellers list for the same exorbitant prices which seems to reinforce that they’re correct?

Seeing multiple listings for torpedos over $1k seems a bit crazy to me, but maybe finding ones in decent condition with the unobtainable straps is getting harder these days!

Another issue with eBay is you can end up with this little microcosm where multiple sellers list for the same exorbitant prices which seems to reinforce that they’re correct?

Seeing multiple listings for torpedos over $1k seems a bit crazy to me, but maybe finding ones in decent condition with the unobtainable straps is getting harder these days!
Due to the scarcity of Oakley watches and thus concrete lack of reference for actual value seems to reinforce this unprecedented prices on eBay currently: Almost every single Oakley watch costs twice the retail price!

I also think another hidden factor is the "archive fashion" culture blooming currently, wherein vintage Oakley hardware is becoming a trend:

A Ticking Time Bomb: The Inside Story of Oakley’s Watch Line

Either they are going to sell it for what its worth or it is going to be another long standing lisitng with unreasonable expectations. So if a seller takes a $1000 watch and ask $1200 OBO I send a $900 offer. If they decline I will then send a $950 offer and a nice message like ..."This is my best offer, thank you for your kind consideration". If they decline I walk and let the listing rot a little. Try back in a week and see if they are willing to take then. Sometimes I let a listing rot for weeks until it feels right.

Now if the listing is $1000 value watch and they have $1800 OBO then they are not out to sell to me and I accept that and let a sucker pay for it or it turns into a PITA listing that never sells and I say that because it becomes a pain in everyones a$$ when other people find it and think their $1000 is worth $1800.

Only a BIT crazy...?

Either they are going to sell it for what its worth or it is going to be another long standing lisitng with unreasonable expectations. So if a seller takes a $1000 watch and ask $1200 OBO I send a $900 offer. If they decline I will then send a $950 offer and a nice message like ..."This is my best offer, thank you for your kind consideration". If they decline I walk and let the listing rot a little. Try back in a week and see if they are willing to take then. Sometimes I let a listing rot for weeks until it feels right.

Now if the listing is $1000 value watch and they have $1800 OBO then they are not out to sell to me and I accept that and let a sucker pay for it or it turns into a PITA listing that never sells and I say that because it becomes a pain in everyones a$$ when other people find it and think their $1000 is worth $1800.
The current torpedo watch listings is a prime example of this. Those prices are far from reality: All the listings are extremely overpriced, thus they just follow along like lemmings and most likely will kill their own listings, just like lemmings, following each other completely devoid of critical thinking

Very well put. I often implore the same/similar tactic myself. Just recently I inquired about a PB1, mint in box, and dude messages me back with an $800 dollar price tag, and he said that, that was much lower than the $1300 dollars he's seen them listed for! (He was obviously basing his price off of ebay pricing). I told him that was a bit more than I was looking to spend, but thanked him for reaching out, and told him good luck with his sale. I few days went by and he messaged me back asking if I'd take them for $600, we finally settled for a little less than that, and I couldn't be happier, but there was no way in H e l l I was going to pay inflated ebay prices for them, especially if all I need to do is be patient for a little bit, and get exactly what I'm looking for here on the OF at a much more reasonable price 🤷‍♂️
I avoid ebay at all costs if I can help it, but, having said that, I have landed some awesome deals there too, like my Xm XX for example, got it earlier this year for $450. Its also in mint condition with oem rubbers, but no lenses. I felt like I got a great deal right there, but those are few and far between these days.....

Latest Posts

Back