• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Alternative to Oakley sunglasses on oakleyforum?

Settle with Holbrooks and Frogskins. They go cheap (usually around the $60 mark after discount) and hold up better. Avoid polished frames and iridium lenses. Matte frames and non-iridium lenses (eg Prizm daily) tend to be more resilient

I've worn Smith and Vuarnet for years, both purchased through discount outlets like Campmor or MooseJaw. The Vuarnet are equal in quality (and retail price), but the Smiths were damn near indestructible.

That being said, I was playing tennis a few weeks ago, and had on some M-Frames. My doubles partner teed off on a return, and just as I turned to see where he was hitting, BAM - right in the right eye. The runner nose piece came off, one side of the lens became dislodged, and the glasses put a small bruise under my eye. I checked my pride, cleaned the sweat off the glasses and popped the lens back into the frame, and kept on playing. I trust the Oakley's, not the other sports glasses I have.

I've worn Smith and Vuarnet for years, both purchased through discount outlets like Campmor or MooseJaw. The Vuarnet are equal in quality (and retail price), but the Smiths were damn near indestructible.

That being said, I was playing tennis a few weeks ago, and had on some M-Frames. My doubles partner teed off on a return, and just as I turned to see where he was hitting, BAM - right in the right eye. The runner nose piece came off, one side of the lens became dislodged, and the glasses put a small bruise under my eye. I checked my pride, cleaned the sweat off the glasses and popped the lens back into the frame, and kept on playing. I trust the Oakley's, not the other sports glasses I have.
reminds me of this thread

Protective glasses for tennis

I've owned and lost two pairs of Oakleys the past 6 years. All in all that's a lot of good use. But the initial investment on a pair of polarized sunglasses is a little to much for me to currently swallow.

But in the past 2 months I've already broken 2 pairs of cheaper ~$25 field and stream wallmart/dicks sunglasses.

At that rate they'll be much more expensive than Oakleys and the optical quality/feel is noticeably cheaper.

I know the Oakley monopoly/conglomeration controls the market through their various brands and marketing. And if I can avoid contributing to that and save money that'd be great.

But Oakley halfjackets/Flakjackets XlJs have held up amazingly well, are impact rated, and have great optics.

Are there a cheaper alternative in that style that actually stands up to them on oakleyforum
Would you consider wearing Oakley frames with aftermarket lenses that are half decent? I've bought these cheap Valve 1.0 frames and changed the lenses to Ikons, and are using them for work. If you have a favorite Oakley pair/design that you like, maybe you might be able to find a fixer upper that's semi-cheap. Hell, maybe you find someone selling a nice frame with bad lenses semi-cheap. And just the change the lenses. Some aftermarket lenses are of good quality, and are a cheaper alternative to Oakley lenses. What I'm saying is why buy brand new? Get a decent frame and get brand new lenses.

You are forgetting that he wanted real sunglassesi

I work in the construction industry, and I need ansi rated (and labeled) glasses, because of OSHA regulations. The photos you see of me with Oakleys on a job site is me 'NOT' actually working. One of the perks of being the super. But when I'm actually working with tools, I need to where safety glasses. I know Oakley makes safety glasses, and I've owned a couple. But I couldn't get myself to work with a pair of Oakleys on my face. I know what happens to my safety glasses over time. Before I started buying Oakleys again a couple years ago, I used to where my safety glasses even after work. So I used to walk around with 3M on my face for years. Lol.

View attachment 822483
ill go wiley x censor as alternative

Latest Posts

Back