• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Any Laundry Tips?

steveocubed

Oakley Expert
Hi guys,

I figured I'd ask this here; I just recently moved into a new place and now I have to do laundry myself (haha um my ex used to do my laundry and then the place before I just used a laundry service down the street). I've been noticing that a few pairs of socks and a sweater had holes in them in the last few laundry forays and I also picked up quite a few wrinkles on some shirts the time before the last time I did laundry (today's came out much better for some reason).

I figured since most people here are guys, does anyone have any laundry advice from a guy's perspective? Not to sound sexist but I figured guys try to keep things as simple as possible so I asked here. I'm not really good at following through on complicated things when it comes to domestic stuff (haha my cooking can attest to that). I read up that I shouldn't mix my jeans or anything with zippers with t-shirts and stuff? I think that's the first thing I'll make changes on next time; I've already been separating by color. Anything else you guys do to keep your clothing in good shape and/or to make your lives easier laundry-wise? Thanks in advance.

Anything that has a zipper, zip it up. never dry your jeans in the dryer over say 50%, hang dry the rest of the way to prevent shrinking. Cold water on everything. Dont buy anything that has to be ironed. I always button up my jeans before putting them in, good time to check pockets as well. Towels are always a separate load. Clean the dryer filter every time. Thats all I can think of at the moment.

If you have to wear dress shirts, try to buy wrinke free ones where all you have to do is tumble dry low for about 10 minutes. Saves you the work of ironing them.

Anything that has a zipper, zip it up. never dry your jeans in the dryer over say 50%, hang dry the rest of the way to prevent shrinking. Cold water on everything. Dont buy anything that has to be ironed. I always button up my jeans before putting them in, good time to check pockets as well. Towels are always a separate load. Clean the dryer filter every time. Thats all I can think of at the moment.

Hmm good call on buttoning and zippering everything. I haven't been doing that and that probably is one of the culprits of creating some holes in a few of my things. Do you guys think it's ok to put jeans in with other clothing? (like t-shirts, sweaters, etc.)

I have been starting to buy only wrinkle free dress shirts so that's good advice too. Haha I'm a teacher so I'm supposed to dress somewhat professionally but I've actually mostly lately just tried to stay away from dress shirts in general and get away with t-shirts and jeans as much as I can (unless it's like a parent teacher conference or something).

Hmm good call on buttoning and zippering everything. I haven't been doing that and that probably is one of the culprits of creating some holes in a few of my things. Do you guys think it's ok to put jeans in with other clothing? (like t-shirts, sweaters, etc.)

I have been starting to buy only wrinkle free dress shirts so that's good advice too. Haha I'm a teacher so I'm supposed to dress somewhat professionally but I've actually mostly lately just tried to stay away from dress shirts in general and get away with t-shirts and jeans as much as I can (unless it's like a parent teacher conference or something).

I have been known to mix whites and colored clothes on occasion. The problem here is if the jeans have not been previously washed several times, you may just color your t-shirts with a blue tint.....

Plus I am a big believer of my clothes ALWAYS smelling clean... I use fabric softener in with my wash cycle also. If you are using a front loader, clean that baby once a month and run bleach and tide washer cleaner cycles often....

This is some damn good advice. I hate doing laundry and couldn't cook an egg to save my life. If my girl ever left me I would be (more of) a mess :redface:

Wow. Reading the first post I actually thought this was a joke!

Either way.
I wash jeans alone
T shirts alone
Socks and underwear alone
Towels alone
I don't own sweaters. :(

Only put bleach on whites and don't use too much

When it comes to drying I dont overset anything.

Or maybe you can pick up a different woman every other day, bring her home and ask her how the washing machine works? :)

How do you guys feel about drying? Is it ok to mix colors with darks and lights in the dryer at least? Also, should I be separating out the piles into non-button/zipper stuff and zipper stuff in the dryer as well or is that more of a washer thing?

Back