• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Any Sneakerheads In The House?

Kyrie IV "Mango" (?)

Quiet drop today and Nike didn't even give it a feed. The local Footlocker didn't even pull it out until I asked. I guess it is a little strange to have someone come in at store opening and ask to buy a non-limited Kyrie at retail (actually, I had $15 VIP rewards) when a Jordan Retro ("I'm Back" 10's) is dropping the next day — but I guess that says something about how much I like the shoe.

2sFTFZE.jpg

The red Chinese New Year colorway I got last month grew on me aesthetically, and especially functionally, but I need a more subtle alternative before I'm Mr. "LOL RED FLOWER SHOES" on the street. I much prefer the build on this pair. It has shorter hair nubuck on the toe and backside better suited for a beating. While a stitched Swoosh is a throwback, I much prefer the solid/metallic look here. Tongue has a pull tab with some nice synthetic.

cqTeEMX.jpg

I like what Nike has been doing with this and the Paul George line. It's one thing to start adding nicer materials, but it only makes so much sense at the cost of function and taking a beating, as well as price point. There have been full leather builds on sneakers, and as nice as those are, it's not always necessary. With the Kyrie IV I'm more fixated on its build as opposed to the resulting aesthetic.

K58VMEh.jpg

That being said, even though I don't hit the court that much, this is currently the shoe I'd turn to. I've said before that the rounded and articulated outsole setup is no gimmick. I tilt my feet in my other shoes and can't help but feel they're a bit outdated in lacking the feature. Nothing really moves like this. and everything about this shoe is conducive to advancing play. It's a no-nonsense upper just trying to wrap the foot. It costs less than most anything it competes with. Only thing it comes short on is being plush, but if you're grounded or have young knees that's not a glaring issue.

hljgZdd.jpg

I don't want to sound like I'm trashing other shoes, as other offerings can excel in different respects, but Nike's measure at creating a feature just went a long way for me. I'm on that Kyrie juice.

If there was a release to be critical of lately, it's the Curry IV. It doesn't run much lower, the added platform width doesn't make a world's difference to me. The weight is nothing if the fit doesn't feel 100% perfect, and even then it gets uncomfortable with the literal absent cushioning and raw rub of the laces and fuse panels against your feet. Credit to UA for catering to Steph's preferences, but as a consumer product, it's a lot of compromising measures to net no significant gains for most people. I can't imagine the Kyrie IV's rounded setup to go unnoticed by any wearer. As petty as it sounds, it makes me regret spending on the Curry IV when speaking in the context of guard shoes. Guess that makes it less of a surprise that UA resorted to dropping the Curry V so soon, like 3 days ago.
fNtr2TE.jpg

Damn... I am well overdue for something fresh and new. I went to Boot Barn and the leather smell was so strong, I had to leave. That smell will make anyone drop hundreds of dollars.

Last edited:
Kyrie IV "Chinese New Year"

Me being overseas and this being a regional exclusive... And me being curious about the shoe in general and not having to pay tax....

Sloppy photo time
View attachment 438813

Pretty basic build overall. Fits snug and the exceptional point of course is the rounded outsole. Functions as I hoped, and to be honest it's a must-have feature going forward. Imagine a Kobe with this.

I am late to the show as usual but has no one noticed the Ferrari Mondial in the background?? Nice kicks by the way.

BrandBlack J.Crossover 2 (JC2) "MLK"
RjxvXIg.jpg

I've been meaning to get this pair for a long time, and should've done so in multiple colorways. This is the pair that really helped the brand get on the map, and is arguably their most successful model to date, debuting in 2015 and having a continued run through 2017 while the JC3 and Rare Metal (which would've been the JC4) released. What made it stand out is what it came with: one of the most balanced performance tooling setups, and one of the "purest" knit uppers even to this day. To top it off, this retailed at $140
JUfTuKvb.jpg

At the time, I think the Adidas Crazy Light Boost 2015 was the only shoe running a knit moving free like this, but those suffered from wearing out really fast. Stuff like the Kobe 10 and 11 still were backed by TPU strands. BrandBlack tried to meet them in the middle with a tighter knit and use of glue. It's definitely no LeBron pair, and competing guard shoes like the Kobe and Kyrie line do a better job with containment, but if you're light on your feet — or if you're Jamal Crawford — this works perfectly.
4HmggBYb.jpg

Transition to the backside is similar to how the Jordan 31 and 32 are made up — going from knit to synthetic/leather. I have the Force Vector Leather (pictured below), which runs the same tooling and similar tongue, and in comparison this laces a tad higher. I went half size down because of the knit. I notice I can generally do this with all the BrandBlack pairs I've gotten.
a1Itabub.jpg

I know I've said this at some other point, but I'm a big fan of this tooling setup. While I think it could've run higher to act as a wall on both sides of the foot, it cleverly manages torsion while still allowing the underside to conform and flex with that folding point below the logo. The traction is solid and at the very least predictable. Ride is pretty low as well.
3Lq2mvMb.jpg

But the JC2 holds it's own despite being 3 generations old. For its time at debut, it was very impressive in the context of other shoes coming in at like $200 and not willing to offer as complete packages apart from like the Jordan 29 — which seems to be on the all-time performance list for a lot of people. It's just that when something like the Kyrie IV comes along, I personally think this feels "flat". That's where it feels outdated. But that could just be me. As I've said in a previous post, a lot of good shoes don't feel so right anymore.

Been a big fan of BrandBlack. They generally do take their own angles at design with being a bit fashion-minded, and are clever in doing so. The blue Force Vector I have pictured is actually my second pair of that respective model. My first pair was a black one and kinda beat up now. Of all their pairs that I own (this JC2, Force Vector, Ether, and Rare Metal), it's pretty hard to say there's an outright best because they're all solid with their own strengths. I kinda refuse to let go of any.

Back