• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Buyer Beware - Mars Scam

Hi All,

I came across the following ad on letgo for the NYC area for a pair of Mars, and I wanted to share to make sure no one falls into the scam!

I contacted the seller to pickup the Mars. At that point, he mentioned that he had just moved to rochester, but he could ship the glasses if I paid with paypal. He even offered to allow me to pay half up front and half on receipt! Well, I still felt a little unusual about the situation. I found the same photos he used in an old eBay ad from sometime back. When I confronted him about this, the seller insisted that was his ad several years ago. At this point, I knew what was going on, but I still asked him to send more picture to my email. He did, and the serial number was quite visibly different different!! I pointed out that the serial number was different, and he promptly blocked me.

I just wanted to point this out in case anyone on this forum comes across the same ad!
I just got duped by the same scammer. I know; I know...it didn't make all that much sense along the way to the transaction. This would have been my first purchase ever on Craigslist, so I wasn't sure how to transact safely. I listened to that scvmb@g's instructions for sending payment (after suggesting we meet somewhere in Rochester at 9 p.m. after his workday). Yep...$200 USD instead of CAN via PayPal F&F, which I probably will never see again. I might be able to get my bank to dispute the $150 that came out of my account directly, as opposed to the $60 PP balance I also used. I called PP after realizing my mistake, and they said there was nothing they could do.

If it wasn't for my GF, I probably would have sent him an additional $400 for a "tight, clean..." MJ Oakley Mars Craters he also wanted to sell me to save on shipping. That's when I Googled Oakley Mars Scam and found this thread. I have been so angry at myself since last night. If my bank can reverse it, then that won't be so bad, but geez.

I just got duped by the same scammer. I know; I know...it didn't make all that much sense along the way to the transaction. This would have been my first purchase ever on Craigslist, so I wasn't sure how to transact safely. I listened to that scvmb@g's instructions for sending payment (after suggesting we meet somewhere in Rochester at 9 p.m. after his workday). Yep...$200 USD instead of CAN via PayPal F&F, which I probably will never see again. I might be able to get my bank to dispute the $150 that came out of my account directly, as opposed to the $60 PP balance I also used. I called PP after realizing my mistake, and they said there was nothing they could do.

If it wasn't for my GF, I probably would have sent him an additional $400 for a "tight, clean..." MJ Oakley Mars Craters he also wanted to sell me to save on shipping. That's when I Googled Oakley Mars Scam and found this thread. I have been so angry at myself since last night. If my bank can reverse it, then that won't be so bad, but geez.
💩

lost-pause-got-em.gif

This guy seems to keep posting up a Romeo and a mars on Craigslist in nyc. I keep flagging them, but he keeps reposting. I think it takes multiple people to flag before posts are actually taken down?

This guy seems to keep posting up a Romeo and a mars on Craigslist in nyc. I keep flagging them, but he keeps reposting. I think it takes multiple people to flag before posts are actually taken down?
They won't take it down for a flag if it appears to be a legit ad.

Sorry to hear that, these are the lessons that will be remembered the longest.
I think G&S is 4.5% — you can still get a legit seller the “no fees” cost, by adding that to the price and pay Goods & Services.

Also if it feels even slightly strange, (and you don’t walk away from that feeling) pay with a credit card - AMEX just saved my bacon from me getting got too.

I messaged him. He said he would meetup and gave me his address.

Hey!!!

I’m a little late to all these messages but very new to the scam! I just came upon this seller as well listing $200 Romeo’s for sale in Southern California. All the same stuff as mentioned here from everyone else. “Friends and Family”, I could get fired, half now half later, I have leather mars as well…..literally everything to a T! The person even tossed in “I’m a Christian, if that means anything to you…..”

Cut to, I find them again with the $200 Romeos in Texas.

Oh, people.

If it seems to good to be true……

Latest Posts

Back