• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Conductor 8 loose hinge

Bo™

Oakley Enthusiast
Belgium
The Conductor 8 grey that i recently bought has a slight problem with the hige on the right side. I can slightly rotate the hinge along its axis. Can this be tightened with one of the srews (the one on top maybe?). I am worried that if i don't tighten it, it will eventually break because it's not meant to rotate.

Thanks for the tip, but how do i pm someone ? I can only see report, ignore, photo's, profile page ...
When you click someones picture you should get a large version of the pic and some blue colored options right underneath it. Click the one that says "start a conversation", that should send you straight to his message box

When you click someones picture you should get a large version of the pic and some blue colored options right underneath it. Click the one that says "start a conversation", that should send you straight to his message box

Nope :( .. i think maybe it's because i haven't been here long enough to do that yet ? I do get other options in blue; "profile page", "follow" and "ignore"

Btw, it's fairly normal with many spring hinges to wiggle a tiny bit... But if it wiggles one side more than the other just tighten the screw a little. If that doesn't fix it contact luxottica or Oakley for a warranty exchange .

Best of luck!

Btw, it's fairly normal with many spring hinges to wiggle a tiny bit... But if it wiggles one side more than the other just tighten the screw a little. If that doesn't fix it contact luxottica or Oakley for a warranty exchange .

Best of luck!

Thank you Chris. Do you know if it is the top or bottom screw i need to tighten ? I'm not sure what either does. I would say the wiggle on the left is so small that i only noticed it now that you mentioned this, but on the right it is very noticable when i hold them by the stem. I Think it moves about 5 to 10 times more (still only 1mm at most).

Also can anyone advise me on a good set of screwdrivers and tools for my Oakleys. I'm lacking a smaal enough screwdriver for the conductor and i've noticed that the triggerman for instance uses 6 point screws .... should i just get any set or is there something anyone can advise ? I don't want to buy crap and dammage my oakleys lol

Also I just remembered i need some advise on what kind of oil/grease/lubricant i should use for the hinges on my wire frames? My 12 year old Whiskers had just had their lenses renewed but the hinges have a lot of resistance when i open or close them becaise i never lubricated them.

Last edited:
I think the only 2 screws per side are one for lens insertion/removal and one to gently loosen/lighten the hinge. However that screw doesn't really affect the tension inside the spring mechanism on the hide a hinge. It may just be a bit loosy goosey. Wishing you luck it doesn't break soon.
I rarely lubricate a hinge. Sometimes a good ultrasonic clean can get dirt out and make it smooth again. Just mild dish soap and water with a toothbrush might work too.
If the hinge really really needs to be lubricated and not just cleaned, or loosened, try a spray silicone like liquid wrench.

I think the only 2 screws per side are one for lens insertion/removal and one to gently loosen/lighten the hinge. However that screw doesn't really affect the tension inside the spring mechanism on the hide a hinge. It may just be a bit loosy goosey. Wishing you luck it doesn't break soon.
I rarely lubricate a hinge. Sometimes a good ultrasonic clean can get dirt out and make it smooth again. Just mild dish soap and water with a toothbrush might work too.
If the hinge really really needs to be lubricated and not just cleaned, or loosened, try a spray silicone like liquid wrench.

Thanks a lot for the expert advise ;) I'll give all that a try and keep you updated on both hinges (conductor and whiskers)

Latest Posts

Back