• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Crowd-source Designed - Lets Take It Back To Sculptural Art Wrapped In Science.

alcapon1, your sketch is very similar to what I had in my mind. I'm looking for a Holbrook/Frogskin style lens front, but polygonal lens shape like the canteen or gascan, with a Jupiter Factory Lite earstem or something narrower like your sketch rather than the thicker ear stems of the Gascan or Fuelcell.

Then you could release a brother pair with a single piece lens, to get a cyclops/Jordi LaForge look.

this was the shield lens cut up idea we were talking about earlier- feel free to give it a good working over. issues are how the seperate lenses would be held together (without gluing) and the earstems arent designed yet but i just wanted to show the general lens shape i was imagining..
ypadube6.jpg

Sculpted shapes like orbitals and frames take too long. I use Inventor at work and I'm too busy to try and do something like this on company time.

Technically the license should be good to port over to use at home, but no way in hell I'm going to try and use Autodesk's license transfer bullshit again.

There is a free software tool that Autodesk made that will render a 3d model from photos of an object. I never got the hang of it. It's called 123D and it's supposed to be a kind of social media for CAD.

where can one get 123D? that sounds handy

this was the shield lens cut up idea we were talking about earlier- feel free to give it a good working over. issues are how the seperate lenses would be held together (without gluing) and the earstems arent designed yet but i just wanted to show the general lens shape i was imagining..
ypadube6.jpg
Did you catch my post about etching the lenses instead of cutting them? If they're iridium coated, etching the surface where the lens would be separated should provide the same separated look without having to cut up the shield lens and therefore prevent light leakage.

I do like the looks of the lenses on your sketch though!

I guess nobody liked my sketches. :laugh:

the wire OTT? i like the idea but it seems like too much of a copy-paste to be a completely new model..i know what you mean though having the lens appear just hovering in front of your face would be sick. kind of similr to what i want with the shield lens thing, in trying to figure out a way to hide the nosepads up high on the bridge so it appears to just hover in front of your face

the wire OTT? i like the idea but it seems like too much of a copy-paste to be a completely new model..i know what you mean though having the lens appear just hovering in front of your face would be sick. kind of similr to what i want with the shield lens thing, in trying to figure out a way to hide the nosepads up high on the bridge so it appears to just hover in front of your face
What about an OTT style frame with a shield lens? And instead of having the frame wrap around the top of the head, to have it between the top and sides of the head?

Did you catch my post about etching the lenses instead of cutting them? If they're iridium coated, etching the surface where the lens would be separated should provide the same separated look without having to cut up the shield lens and therefore prevent light leakage.

I do like the looks of the lenses on your sketch though!

yeah i thought about the etching idea, but if you've had a look at subzeros and zeros thats basically what they did - etching for the lines. i was thinking your original idea of actually having separate pieces would be an awesome progression. get the gaps abit larger as well to show it off so to speak..

light leakage isnt really an issue if you think about it - all wire frames have a gap where the nosebridge goes anyway =)

yeah i thought about the etching idea, but if you've had a look at subzeros and zeros thats basically what they did - etching for the lines. i was thinking your original idea of actually having separate pieces would be an awesome progression. get the gaps abit larger as well to show it off so to speak..

light leakage isnt really an issue if you think about it - all wire frames have a gap where the nosebridge goes anyway =)
Agreed. The etching way is more of an easy way out. To go the cut lens route it'd have to be held together like how the Nano Wires are held together.

Agreed. The etching way is more of an easy way out. To go the cut lens route it'd have to be held together like how the Nano Wires are held together.

yeah but nanowires basically are how all Maui-Jim glasses have been made. i mean the nanowire like was internally known as project MJK, or Maui Jim Killers (Monster_beetle, 2012).

maybe we can come up with a new way of holding the seperate lens pieces together? that would be cool. i was visualising a really TRON-esque style- like as close to a hovering shield in front of your eyes as possible. im trying to come up with a design to hide the nosebombs/nosepads so that it looks more "clean". still deciding which way to go with earstems..

Back