• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Distortion With Oakley Prescription Sunglass Lenses

Another optician

I just looked on Oakley's website and called another optician. I picked a chain called Lenscrafters. I learned the add on my prescription means progressive/bifocal lenses. I have no idea what my Oakley are -- single vision or progressive/bifocal. The Lenscrafter manager I spoke with was very nice and helpful. He offered to help me if I stopped by which I think I will do tomorrow.

I just called the optician that did my prescription. They just wrote the prescription so that if I wanted progressive/bifocals, I had the prescription information I needed already (vs. paying for another exam). I told the Oakley optician I wanted single vision lenses.

sounds weird!
maybe just order another pair from a different optician?!

I would describe the distortion when I am cycling to be when I am looking through the upper/top part of the lenses... I think. I am actually not sure believe it or not.

I was wondering if it was the XLJ lenses. No, I can't see where the prescription ends. Can you explain what I should look for and I'll see if I can spot it on mine (I have not returned them for a refund yet, so I still have them to look at.).

I will. I want to give you'll feedback, and I hope our discussion will help someone else out.

no other members with flak jackets or M-frames and prescription in there?
beside Jeff

i never had a pair just contact lenses....

I would describe the distortion when I am cycling to be when I am looking through the upper/top part of the lenses... I think. I am actually not sure believe it or not.

I was wondering if it was the XLJ lenses. No, I can't see where the prescription ends. Can you explain what I should look for and I'll see if I can spot it on mine (I have not returned them for a refund yet, so I still have them to look at.).

to me with the M Frames is is obvious, with the others it is not an issue, I have to wonder if the optician or Oakley is not checking in the areas of concern. since normally (typically) you look through the middle. I would think that the XLJ lenses would make no difference, but with the progressive prescription maybe it is something with that? I dunno

Response

I looked at the prescriptions lenses. I can't see where the prescription ends if it is not edge to edge. The lenses should be single vision. That is what I ordered.

I thought some more about how to explain what I am experiencing. On the bike I feel like a midget. Speed appears/feels slow compared to reality. In the car I can drive with them. This last order made me feel sort of dizzy and did not seem crystal clear. I think when I am on the bike with my head up somehow the angle is changing or something.

to me with the M Frames is is obvious, with the others it is not an issue, I have to wonder if the optician or Oakley is not checking in the areas of concern. since normally (typically) you look through the middle. I would think that the XLJ lenses would make no difference, but with the progressive prescription maybe it is something with that? I dunno

yeah you shouldn't be able to.. M Frames are the only ones that you should see. I have to think that you script which has a - and + was done as progressive. I would be SURE that the lens is a single

Let us know what happens tomorrow when you go..

Jeff

Lenscrafters Visit Update

Spoke with a Lenscrafters manager today. Very nice guy. He inspected the lenses and confirmed they are single vision and genuine Oakleys. He also confirmed the lenses matched my prescription. I explained to him how I feel much lower to the ground than reality when I am cycling, and how my speed is actually much higher than I perceive. He explained my lenses are wrapped at about an 8 degree angle. He said this can take awhile for your brain to adjust to. He said some people can do it and some cannot adapt. (It reminded me of when I tried mono vision contacts. I was not able to do that.) He said it was very important that my prescription be accurate/right on for the lenses to work. He said not to get progressive/bifocals or I would most definitely experience distortion. He suggested I speak with the people that did my eye exam to make sure everything was correct there, and he stated they should be able to explain what is causing my distortion only when cycling. (The guy is not an optometrist.) If nothing could be found through my eye exam to explain it, he suggested I try prescription sunglasses with lesser degree angle e.g. 3-4 percent hence no wrap.

Sigh... I guess my next stop will be Pearle. They did my eye exam.

As I side note, I just want to recommend to all in general that you use a credit card when making purchases as added protection in case you have a problem with a merchant. It gives you another means of recourse e.g. filing a credit card charge dispute versus a small claims court case. For those of you that tend to get into trouble with credit cards, pay the charge amount immediately (before the bill comes) that way the monthly statement will always have a zero balance.

oaky . . .
so it was your slow brain and not the lens, that you got the distotion from.
just kidding

sounds like, you have a plan now, how to get the right pair for you - cool!
that make me happy :cool:

Latest Posts

Back