• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fake Or Not?

psychephylax

Oakley Expert
Smithtown, NY
Hello,

Got these used recently and wanted to see if the experts could tell me if they're fake or real...A few things I noticed is that there's no "CE" or model number on the stems. They weight a little more than my Oakley Frogskins from the Oakley store and they are "tighter" fitting than the other set. Also the "matte" finish is rubbing off in some spots. Also, I popped one of the lenses out and now the frame creaks. Oh, and the weight is about 26 grams.

Pictures:
https://picasaweb.google.com/112239887194204778225/Frogskins?authkey=Gv1sRgCLSw7_GryerTWw

looks legit to me.... but the missing CE number is a little odd though.

my frogs creaks too. its pretty normal on some.

certainly a newer matte rootbeer it appears. the matte finish on many style can and does wear off, so that isn't abnormal. model number on the frame may not be an issue as they were hit and miss in the earlier stages of implementing that process. The release was 2008, which was shortly after the Lux take over and that is all when the numbering began. From what I can see, given as many as I have handled and painted, that is a legit frame. The hinge shows me all I need to see, the small rise in the frame just underneath the hinge post is a real give away, plus the shape of the actual post itself. I would say 100% legit. The CE is odd, but not necessarily a killer.

Thank you Dr. Chop, I am in the process of actually removing that matte finish to to make it a polished rootbeer frame :)
Any suggestions on how to get the hard parts (hinges/nose bridge)? I haven't had a chance to get some Goo Gone.

I think these turned out to be fake after all. The lenses are not the same shape as OEM lenses from Oakley. I guess I can always buy an aftermarket lens set and cut it down with a dremel.

Back