• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Goggle Lens Identification

Rhymes

Oakley Enthusiast
Got these at a pawn shop years ago. I have a hunch but I’d like to call the experts.
Ideally I’d like to put either of these in the matching goggle to give as a Christmas present. Perhaps sell or trade as well.

This is my first dive into the Oakley goggle world so any help and advise is greatly appreciated!
fef3ae3508f76f80e9d8ddb7b72c2c96.jpg
cf6882bc97319fff95609ca9072b0388.jpg
de09cb9358a712bbc71528a4cbb639c0.jpg
caed11895c5e151af051a4e6029f892b.jpg
b74b49a022bef1dd855b58e357232df9.jpg
73c55a423e5ca76a81d47e5345faac08.jpg

Top is A frame 1st gen I believe.
Correct. By the photo's it appears to be Black Iridium tint - in goggle world Black Ird, utilizes a persimmon base tint for contrast purposes rather than a grey base we're used to in sunglass world.

2nd ones is from a Wisdom in OG pink iridium, rather than vr50 pink ird - this lens is based on a clear base tint giving it a vlt of something like 65%, where as the vr50 version is more like 42%

An just to avoid mix-up on your end, there's a more recent A-Frame 2.0 version which isn't compatible with your lens - key marking differences are top vents and bottom vents don't have foam.
The 1.0 (shown with black iridium) offered a simple strap originally which was rather short to use with a helmet, later they offered a longer strap which also had side riggers that followed the curvature of sides of the goggle and was more easily fitted over a helmet.

lrg-x-oakley---limited-edition-a-frame-goggles---2.jpg

The top image is the 'Wisdom' model with pink iridium. Comparison photos showing the two pinks side by side just to verify what you have.
The VR50 version has a peach-pink hue that you'll notice looking through it inside or outside.
OG will appear almost clear in darker conditions, in lighter conditions you can feel a faint pink

Oakley retired the OG pink in favor of the vr50 as it allowed users to use it more as a sunny/cloudy weather lens. Although I prefer'd OG version because it felt more versatile; was light enough that you could night ski with it, while providing a subtle enough of a pink 'contrast' to be good when it began to snow lightly, while still retaining a decent reduction on glare that you could use it for overcast/partly cloudy conditions when the sun peaked out.
VR version you couldn't night ski in, and if there wasn't enough sun out if it began to snow it could be too dark.

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 10.20.46 AM.png

An just to avoid mix-up on your end, there's a more recent A-Frame 2.0 version which isn't compatible with your lens - key marking differences are top vents and bottom vents don't have foam.
The 1.0 (shown with black iridium) offered a simple strap originally which was rather short to use with a helmet, later they offered a longer strap which also had side riggers that followed the curvature of sides of the goggle and was more easily fitted over a helmet.

View attachment 624746

The top image is the 'Wisdom' model with pink iridium. Comparison photos showing the two pinks side by side just to verify what you have.
The VR50 version has a peach-pink hue that you'll notice looking through it inside or outside.
OG will appear almost clear in darker conditions, in lighter conditions you can feel a faint pink

Oakley retired the OG pink in favor of the vr50 as it allowed users to use it more as a sunny/cloudy weather lens. Although I prefer'd OG version because it felt more versatile; was light enough that you could night ski with it, while providing a subtle enough of a pink 'contrast' to be good when it began to snow lightly, while still retaining a decent reduction on glare that you could use it for overcast/partly cloudy conditions when the sun peaked out.
VR version you couldn't night ski in, and if there wasn't enough sun out if it began to snow it could be too dark.

View attachment 624732

That’s the type of answer I love!!!
Thanks boost. So much info to consider.
Are the actual goggles hard to come by?
I was having a hell of a time figuring out the tint because I somewhat narrowed it down to Aframe persimmon but it sure doesn’t look persimmon so I’m glad you explained some of the intricacies of base and iridium compared to sunglass lenses

That’s the type of answer I love!!!
Thanks boost. So much info to consider.
Are the actual goggles hard to come by?
I was having a hell of a time figuring out the tint because I somewhat narrowed it down to Aframe persimmon but it sure doesn’t look persimmon so I’m glad you explained some of the intricacies of base and iridium compared to sunglass lenses
Hard to come by... umm no, but kinda depends...

The price of a excellent example can range quite a bit from like 30 bucks to above retail (because sellers have no concept of their age an refer to website for pricing tips). If you were spending more than 45 on a frame it should be in very good condition regarding the foam, an come with a lens thats equally good and in a favorable tint. Going above that price is really doesn't make sense unless you're personally invested in collecting them, or already have surplus of pairs/parts for them...

For context I had stretchline wisdoms in neon green (rather rare color) which I sold for 115 shipped last year with 4 lenses, in that same time I saw worse condition pairs with one lense going for roughly half of my price.
Finding a example with comparable foam to mine would likely be the toughest challenge - had mine not had a hole in the strap, they probably could've passed for NOS. They came with a NOS HI Yellow w/box, NOS Fire, EUC Black Ird and EUC HI Persimmon.
A few things to consider if you want to keep them; the older goggle replacement tints aren't super easy to come especially new ones so long term these will kinda get more expensive to upkeep in the sense that NOS lenses are going to retain a premium because supply is low, neither of those models ever had prizm tints for them, they're relatively small in comparison to today's models the A-Frame 2.0 is considered a small/youth size goggle but its bigger than the pair you have).

The facial foam on goggles of those age is prone to falling apart like the foam in X-Metal boxes, or there's this fleece (light grey) liner on top of the foam that is prone to peeling around the nose area..
The vent holes on top of the goggles are commonly torn or non-existent, this is a user produced flaw.

Straps don't have the anti slip silicon on them, unless it's one of the later made models from like 2010+ (those later models will have side riggers - which are usually color matched to frame/strap colors and tend to be glossy finish ) for example this pair you can see the 3 lines on the strap through the lenses thats the silicone.

In short... If you can get frames for both under 50 bucks total whos foam is intact and good shape, its not a bad deal for the sake of having a pair of goggles. But if you can't stumble upon a decent deal, it might be better to opt for picking up something newer based on supply of replacements out there as well as not having to worry about the foam aging issue (if you found a NOS pair foam wouldn't be worry point as it degraded from use, not just from sitting like the XM box foam)

Last edited:
Hard to come by... umm no, but kinda depends...

The price of a excellent example can range quite a bit from like 30 bucks to above retail (because sellers have no concept of their age an refer to website for pricing tips). If you were spending more than 45 on a frame it should be in very good condition regarding the foam, an come with a lens thats equally good and in a favorable tint. Going above that price is really doesn't make sense unless you're personally invested in collecting them, or already have surplus of pairs/parts for them...

For context I had stretchline wisdoms in neon green (rather rare color) which I sold for 115 shipped last year with 4 lenses, in that same time I saw worse condition pairs with one lense going for roughly half of my price.
Finding a example with comparable foam to mine would likely be the toughest challenge - had mine not had a hole in the strap, they probably could've passed for NOS. They came with a NOS HI Yellow w/box, NOS Fire, EUC Black Ird and EUC HI Persimmon.
A few things to consider if you want to keep them; the older goggle replacement tints aren't super easy to come especially new ones so long term these will kinda get more expensive to upkeep in the sense that NOS lenses are going to retain a premium because supply is low, neither of those models ever had prizm tints for them, they're relatively small in comparison to today's models the A-Frame 2.0 is considered a small/youth size goggle but its bigger than the pair you have).

The facial foam on goggles of those age is prone to falling apart like the foam in X-Metal boxes, or there's this fleece (light grey) liner on top of the foam that is prone to peeling around the nose area..
The vent holes on top of the goggles are commonly torn or non-existent, this is a user produced flaw.

Straps don't have the anti slip silicon on them, unless it's one of the later made models from like 2010+ (those later models will have side riggers - which are usually color matched to frame/strap colors and tend to be glossy finish ) for example this pair you can see the 3 lines on the strap through the lenses thats the silicone.

In short... If you can get frames for both under 50 bucks total whos foam is intact and good shape, its not a bad deal for the sake of having a pair of goggles. But if you can't stumble upon a decent deal, or you plan to keep them for a while It might just be better to sell the replacements and opt for picking up something newer.

I can’t thank you enough for all that. I eat this stuff up! The Aframe lens is in great condition but the wisdom definitely has had some use or just mishandled. Lots of wear marks. Not scratches, it just looks faded and swirled all over you know. Perhaps as a Christmas present it would be better to get something newer. That was my goal. Utilize this lens to give a nice goggle set to my brother in law.

Man, that’s a lot to take in and think about. Think I might hang on to the Aframe and maybe giveaway the wisdom if anyone here wants it. Or perhaps both.

I’m surprised silicone wasn’t used until relatively recently.

I certainly understand what you mean about the foam. I have a complete set of white Blade earstems kit and the foam is just like loose fluff if you even look at it.

I can’t thank you enough for all that. I eat this stuff up! The Aframe lens is in great condition but the wisdom definitely has had some use or just mishandled. Lots of wear marks. Not scratches, it just looks faded and swirled all over you know. Perhaps as a Christmas present it would be better to get something newer. That was my goal. Utilize this lens to give a nice goggle set to my brother in law.

Man, that’s a lot to take in and think about. Think I might hang on to the Aframe and maybe giveaway the wisdom if anyone here wants it. Or perhaps both.

I’m surprised silicone wasn’t used until relatively recently.

I certainly understand what you mean about the foam. I have a complete set of white Blade earstems kit and the foam is just like loose fluff if you even look at it.
I got into goggles before I got into sunnies, and it was around the time before the internet had everything.... so in order to learn about them, I bought/traded a lot of them lol - I owned every lens they made at one point or another just to have the first hand experience lmao.

A problem with the older lenses is the inner lens (clear portion) has anti-fog coating that if wiped off when wet aka snow on them, will smudge the coating. Which in turn ruins the antifog feature of them, an also makes the lens appear to be foggy/smudged... the swirls you are describing sounds like a inner lens issue.

Finding an a-frame would be easier than a wisdom, as that model was more popular and produced for a longer period of time.

The silicone wasn't really needed till more recently, because say 10 years ago the number of people wearing helmets wasn't that big. An the silicone is so they don't slip off when you prop them up on your helmet to take off your face.

This lens is a perfect example of a FUBAR inner lens, all its good for now is scraping the ice off your windows. When looking for replacement goggles, if they have a lens ask the seller to take a photo from the backside holding up to a light directly - as it will allow you to understand if the inner lens is smudged or dickered in anyway - additionally if the inner lens becomes cracked its no longer anti-fog proof even if the coating is unsmudged.

Back