• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

GSR2 black lenses?

SiRacer420

BWPMF
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
NOLA
Saw this last night. Don't know much about the GSR2 but any I've seen had fire lenses. Etching looks weird?
Thoughts?

Oakley X-Metal "Gary Scelzi" Romeo 2 sunglasses | eBay

IMG_2272.PNG

That etching looks to say 3x, there's one with fire lenses showing 4x (from a OF sale post by hereispunishment).

The signature is definitely different; that is to say that if it was a production item it wasn't done at the same time as the Fire, which we know as authentic.
  • Peaks in "G"
  • Doesn't dot "i"
  • "Z" and "y" aren't as flowery
Scelzi won his fourth championship in 2005 the R2GS was released in 2006, the model debuted holiday 2004. Also the Fives 3.0 was released at the same time and has the same signature.

I say "fake"/enthusiast reproduction. Not a real Oakley version.

Oakley made dozens of custom etched lenses for drivers and sponsored race teams back in the day. Hard to say if it is a real Oakley etching or not, but I lean towards it being a non-Oakley custom. The quality of the etching seems suspect and of lower quality than I've seen on other etchings (though admittedly that may also be a product of poor quality photos).

It is interesting that they'd use "bubble letters" for the signature and not just a solid line as if it were ink. True for both this version and the authentic version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Posts

Back