• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Here is a poll/survey to express your opinions about custom cut lenses with partial etching.

Which describes your feeling about custom-cut lenses with partial etching?

• Part 1b: I am familiar with custom-cut Oakley lenses, and don't want to participate in this poll.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Part 1d: I am unfamiliar with custom-cut Oakley lenses, and don't want to participate in this poll.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Yo Flawch!

Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
NJ, USA
I have definite opinions about custom-cut Oakley lenses with partial etching, but I want to see how other enthusiasts feel about this topic.

This is a survey, but in a poll-style format. If you're not interested in the topic, there are EASY OUTS... either click out of this thread, or make ONLY ONE CHOICE, either 1b or 1d (see below).

If you are INTERESTED in participating this poll, choose one answer from each Part, 5 choices total. Someone who's interested in participating might pick the following choices: Part 1a, Part 2a, Part 3a, Part 4b, and 5a (see below).

If anyone has clear pics of custom-cut lenses with partial etching, please feel free to post them in this thread, and comment why you like or dislike them. I'm not going to argue for my preferences, and would like to keep the conversation light and lively.

Interesting poll, Lots of options, but didn’t see the one for:

I want that lens, I don’t care if it has partial etching, full etching, or no etching...
(That is mostly my default)
Ha. I knew someone would come up with an angle I didn't think of. I guess we'll need another poll. You could also just pick 5 or fewer choices you agree with.

IMHO, etching is a blemish on any lens.
Nowadays, I will not buy a donor unless the etching can be removed,
and I will not pay for any glasses that have company buzz-words on ‘em.
Very interesting; I never thought about it that way.

I want that lens, I don’t care if it has partial etching, full etching, or no etching...
Same here. I don’t mind a partial etch as long as it’s the lens I want, but wouldn’t really say it’s desirable. Answered accordingly (skipped Q2 and Q5).

Same here. I don’t mind a partial etch as long as it’s the lens I want, but wouldn’t really say it’s desirable. Answered accordingly (skipped Q2 and Q5).
Fair enough. There should've been an option for "tolerable" in addition to "desirable."

I 100% agree as long as it’s the lens I’m looking for .. although for the OG lenses like emerald and fire I would prefer to have the etching in tact

Maybe I'm a weirdo to the rest of you guys concerning lenses. I actually prefer an excellent aftermarket lens over Oakley lenses. I want polarized and different colors. But on my non-Mars X-metals, I went out of my way to get OEM lenses, and most are custom cuts. A couple are polarized and have partial etching. Doesn't bother me at all. Frankly, I could care less if etching was there or not.

Maybe I'm a weirdo to the rest of you guys concerning lenses. I actually prefer an excellent aftermarket lens over Oakley lenses. I want polarized and different colors. But on my non-Mars X-metals, I went out of my way to get OEM lenses, and most are custom cuts. A couple are polarized and have partial etching. Doesn't bother me at all. Frankly, I could care less if etching was there or not.
I don't think you're a weirdo Robert. If anyone's a weirdo, it's me for concocting this thread :headbang:

Already, we've seen extreme opinions on both ends, from "etching is a blemish on any lens" to "I could care less if etching was there or not."

I'm glad people are willing to participate in a conversation about it.

If there's going to be a partial etch on a custom cut lens, I'd prefer it to be hidden by the frame itself. Otherwise, it's like a peripherally scratched lens if the etching is not readable or doesn't make sense. Even if the partial etching is out of view when using, it's still annoying to me if I can see it from the "outside".

P.S. I have a Scelzi R2 which is one of the largest obtrusive etchings in the history of Oakley. Due to it's significance, it will remains part of my collection, but truthfully, I dislike wearing them because the signature is a continued distraction.

Back