• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How To Restore Old Unobtainium That Has Gone Sticky!

Use some silicon spray: it's what they consist of after all. Just spray the unobtanium, rest on a towel and leave to impregnate the rubber. Then after half an hour, go back and towel off any unabsorbed remnants!!!!! Jobs a goodn' and done!

So I tried this technique on my Blade nose piece and sadly it didn't really work. :sad:

Made it less grimy but it's still really sticky. Oh well, it's over 22 years old so I wouldn't expect it to be like new.

Hand Sanitizer should do the trick also. if you clean it once in a while with Handsanitizer it will keep it fresh. it also make it easier to slip them back on to the sunglasseses

Does this work for nose pieces as well? My Blade piece needs some treatment.

So I tried this technique on my Blade nose piece and sadly it didn't really work. :sad:

Made it less grimy but it's still really sticky. Oh well, it's over 22 years old so I wouldn't expect it to be like new.

batwolf you may have alot of oil and grime in there. try washing with mild soap, rubbing the surface. then boiling water again.

Use some silicon spray: it's what they consist of after all. Just spray the unobtanium, rest on a towel and leave to impregnate the rubber. Then after half an hour, go back and towel off any unabsorbed remnants!!!!! Jobs a goodn' and done!

that sounds like it works well, but essentially it's just covering the degrading unobtainium in a layer of silicone. but if youre happy with that then it works a treat. id personally want mine to be clean (im ocd haha)

Hand Sanitizer should do the trick also. if you clean it once in a while with Handsanitizer it will keep it fresh. it also make it easier to slip them back on to the sunglasseses

hand sanitiser contains alcohol. i dont like introducing random non-water solvents to the unobtainium as some may literally dissolve it. plus it leasves residue, which im not keen about =)

Hi,

I tried to put my Radar earsocks into a cup with boiling water, but when it took them out they had a white halo and very small cracks on the surface.

Sorry for m English, I'm Italian:redface:

Hi,

I tried to put my Radar earsocks into a cup with boiling water, but when it took them out they had a white halo and very small cracks on the surface.

Sorry for m English, I'm Italian:redface:

those earsocks already had those cracks from being degraded, just the oils was covering it up. and yeah, damaged unobtainium tends to get a whitish surface when boiled- its just the damaged rubber getting saturated in water.

you need to clean your frames more
often buddy :)

I had a few sets of nasty, sticky rubber that I boiled. They turned white-ish and cracked apart. I'm not convinced this is the route to take with these...

Hmmm. I'll have to try this on my 24K XX nose bombs. The previous owner obviously never cleaned them and they keep secreting oil. It's actually really fricken gross. Never knew that rubber can absorb that much oil.

Quick question: Is there a method of shrinking stretched Unobtainium? From my experience with kitbashing action figures, rubber and soft plastic compounds usually revert back to the shape they were originally cast in when heat is applied and then rapidly cooled in a freezer. The Splice I picked up today has one ear sock that's starting to slide off the allotted stem space. I'm wondering if heating it up then freezing it will help revert it back to its original shape.

Back