• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

iPhone Not Seeing Ruby Lenses

If those lenses are original, it's likely +Red. Ruby came on the silver frames.

C Wire
That makes sense. Now I remember that from when they made them. The A Wires (which are what I like) came Ruby w/the Dark Carbon. That’s what I’m looking for. So far I’ve gotten Silver A Wires w/Ice lens and Dark Carbon C Wires w/+Red lens.

I’ve found that if I angle my face up a little, then the iPhone unlocks, so I’m OK. Still weird that those particular lenses don’t allow it.

My iPhone XS doesn’t like the +Red lenses either but if you go into settings and Face ID & Passcode and turn off require attention for Face ID it will work.

I found this on an old graphic design page... Took me years to fully understand it.

~~~~~

“Colour Is Subjective

Probably the hardest concept to fully grasp about color is that color is all in your head. Literally. It’s a sensation, just like touch. Like any other sensation it’s (usually) caused by physical reality. But it doesn’t have any physical reality of it’s own–at least not outside your body. And–this is the hard part–color is not a property of the thing that’s causing the sensation. In other words, grass is not green and the sky is not blue. Rather, they have physical properties that make you perceive green and blue, but even that’s true only in some circumstances.

It’s easier to understand this concept–to separate out the difference between an object’s properties and the sensation you get from those properties–if you think about your sense of touch rather than your sense of color.

If someone touches you on the arm, for example, you can feel the touch, and the feeling is certainly caused by the physical reality of the finger touching your skin. But it probably wouldn’t even occur to you to think of the feeling as a property of the other person’s finger. It’s obviously not; rather, it’s a sensation that’s happening in your own body.

In fact, the sensation you feel can vary depending on the condition of your skin. The same touch that can feel gentle or even soothing under most conditions can be painful if you have a sunburn, for example. But in either case, the physical reality of the touch would be the same. And in either case, the sensation is all internal. The pressure of the finger stimulates internal sensors in your body, those sensors register the touch and report the sensation to your brain.

Color works exactly the same way. And that needs to be stressed: This is not an analogous situation. It’s the same thing; because color is also a sensation. Light reaches your eye, it stimulates the sensors in your eye, those sensors register photons, and they report the sensation to your brain. It’s your visual system that decides on a color.

This idea of color as a sensation rather than an intrinsic property of an object is a subtle distinction, but it’s not a trivial one or some sort of academic hairsplitting. It’s central to understanding why it’s so hard to match colors–whether between two devices like a printer and camera or between any given device and the real world.

Consider: The color you see for any given object depends, in part, on the light you see it under. An extreme example of this is that the color of your car will likely change so much under sodium lamps that you may have trouble finding it in a parking lot at night. But, as you may know, colors change even with less extreme lighting conditions–when moving from a room lit with incandescent bulbs to daylight for example.

If color were an intrinsic property of an object, and it was only the perceived color that changed under different lighting conditions, you could match the object’s intrinsic color in printed output, say, under any lighting conditions, and the colors would then match under all conditions. However, because color is not an intrinsic property of the object but rather a sensation, the only thing you can match is the sensation that a particular color induces in your visual sensory system. That sensation will change under different lighting conditions, and it will usually change differently for different objects. So the best you can do is match colors under specific lighting conditions.”

My iPhone XS doesn’t like the +Red lenses either but if you go into settings and Face ID & Passcode and turn off require attention for Face ID it will work.
I was going to do that, but I like the extra security so I’ll just stick with raising my glasses a bit. But since I’m still looking for my A Wires w/Ruby lens, I don’t think I’ll be wearing them much longer. I always have my Ice Lens A Wires that I can wear...

I found this on an old graphic design page... Took me years to fully understand it.

~~~~~

“Colour Is Subjective

Probably the hardest concept to fully grasp about color is that color is all in your head. Literally. It’s a sensation, just like touch. Like any other sensation it’s (usually) caused by physical reality. But it doesn’t have any physical reality of it’s own–at least not outside your body. And–this is the hard part–color is not a property of the thing that’s causing the sensation. In other words, grass is not green and the sky is not blue. Rather, they have physical properties that make you perceive green and blue, but even that’s true only in some circumstances.

It’s easier to understand this concept–to separate out the difference between an object’s properties and the sensation you get from those properties–if you think about your sense of touch rather than your sense of color.

If someone touches you on the arm, for example, you can feel the touch, and the feeling is certainly caused by the physical reality of the finger touching your skin. But it probably wouldn’t even occur to you to think of the feeling as a property of the other person’s finger. It’s obviously not; rather, it’s a sensation that’s happening in your own body.

In fact, the sensation you feel can vary depending on the condition of your skin. The same touch that can feel gentle or even soothing under most conditions can be painful if you have a sunburn, for example. But in either case, the physical reality of the touch would be the same. And in either case, the sensation is all internal. The pressure of the finger stimulates internal sensors in your body, those sensors register the touch and report the sensation to your brain.

Color works exactly the same way. And that needs to be stressed: This is not an analogous situation. It’s the same thing; because color is also a sensation. Light reaches your eye, it stimulates the sensors in your eye, those sensors register photons, and they report the sensation to your brain. It’s your visual system that decides on a color.

This idea of color as a sensation rather than an intrinsic property of an object is a subtle distinction, but it’s not a trivial one or some sort of academic hairsplitting. It’s central to understanding why it’s so hard to match colors–whether between two devices like a printer and camera or between any given device and the real world.

Consider: The color you see for any given object depends, in part, on the light you see it under. An extreme example of this is that the color of your car will likely change so much under sodium lamps that you may have trouble finding it in a parking lot at night. But, as you may know, colors change even with less extreme lighting conditions–when moving from a room lit with incandescent bulbs to daylight for example.

If color were an intrinsic property of an object, and it was only the perceived color that changed under different lighting conditions, you could match the object’s intrinsic color in printed output, say, under any lighting conditions, and the colors would then match under all conditions. However, because color is not an intrinsic property of the object but rather a sensation, the only thing you can match is the sensation that a particular color induces in your visual sensory system. That sensation will change under different lighting conditions, and it will usually change differently for different objects. So the best you can do is match colors under specific lighting conditions.”
Lot of good information in there. Thanks!!

~~~~~

“Colour Is Subjective

Loved reading this @Wavecloud. Thank you for taking the time and sharing this. It’s as I’ve always thought about color.☺️ I’ve always thought about the green I see might not be the same green you see. And it could be a totally different color. We’ve been programmed to call that certain color we see a name. But we all might not be seeing the same thing😝🤯🤯

Back