• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lopaka's DIY Garage (2.0)

It's called German Gray. So "Danke Schoen". :cool:🤙

Well then…PROST! 🍻

200w.gif

giphy.gif

A couple of pages back I redid my Forty-Niner Valve because I swapped lenses with another pair. But I didn't mention that other pair also had some damage as well. In the beginning, I took photos with it on, and in the sunlight the small chips weren't noticeable. So I didn't fix it right away. Still, it ate at me every time I looked at the pair. It would be the first thing I look at. So finally, I got a frame going, and redid my Silver with +Red frame. Earstems I left alone and used as is. :cool:🤙

IMG_5254.JPG
IMG_5383.JPG
IMG_5387.JPG
IMG_5409.JPG
IMG_5427.JPG
IMG_5428.JPG
IMG_5430.JPG
IMG_5433.JPG
IMG_5435.JPG
IMG_5436.JPG
IMG_5440.JPG
IMG_5441.JPG
IMG_5445.JPG
IMG_5448.JPG

Just wanted to note that when painting, being impatient is NOT a good thing. I pretty much rushed every project I did in the beginning just because I wanted to see it completed. And because of that I paid the price by having my finishes messed up. My red pair was because I put in the lenses too early. So it happened at the beginning. But it was so small and not visible in pictures that I let it slide for a while. But I meant to do this from the start. So.... Metallic Red pair redone.

IMG_6140.JPG
IMG_6144.JPG
IMG_6149.JPG

The Pearl White I did last month I left the stems fully opened from the time I put it together. So days later I couldn't close the ear stems. Anyway, A couple weeks later I wanted to change out my earlier ear stems, So I had to try. And it snapped closed and broke off paint on both the lug and the paint on the frames edge. I was so disappointed that I didn't take pictures of it and immediately put it in my bottle of lacquer thinner and stripped it down. So these pictures are of a completely different paint job, and I even redid the lugs as well. That's why this lens is a lighter blue. I had a deep blue in the original frame.

IMG_6152.JPG
IMG_6154.JPG
IMG_6155.JPG
IMG_6158.JPG

They both look outstanding! 👽🤙

For me, it is paint ‘and’ glue impatience…I can be so patient on most other things! 😜. I was surprised by Testors full hardness drying time. I get the 30 mins to touch dry and the 24-48 to cure. But 7-10 days for full hardness part 😳

I now definitely neeeeeeed one more Valve 1.0 beater 🪖👍

They both look outstanding! 👽🤙

For me, it is paint ‘and’ glue impatience…I can be so patient on most other things! 😜. I was surprised by Testors full hardness drying time. I get the 30 mins to touch dry and the 24-48 to cure. But 7-10 days for full hardness part 😳

I now definitely neeeeeeed one more Valve 1.0 beater 🪖👍
Here's the 'dirty' brother to your German Gray Valve 1.0. Complete with dirty left ear stem and frame. This is the reject parts that I first cleaned with an Ikon black lens rag, and those parts became darker. It's hard to see in the first photo, but left side is darker than the right. I had painted two frames at the same time so I could choose the best parts. I had already wiped a couple of parts darker before realizing what was happening with the color, and I couldn't get it out. After then deciding which parts I was going to use for your pair, I realized that, other than the darker color, it didn't really look all the bad. It looks pretty good to me in fact. Even with the 'dark side'. I put in Ikon 24K lenses and painted the lugs yellow.
Impatience got this pair. I rushed to put this together for my Kauai trip. So it wasn't fully cured by the time I got back home and put it away. I left the ear stems wide open and the left side lug stuck to the frame, and I couldn't close it without chipping off a small piece of the clear layer. So these photos here have a second set of clear lugs painted yellow and cured for almost a week now. Hopefully no more mishaps. Just gotta stop rushing things. Lol. :cool:🤙

IMG_6267.JPG
IMG_6269.JPG
IMG_6270.JPG
IMG_6275.JPG
IMG_6277.JPG
IMG_6280.JPG
IMG_6284.JPG
IMG_6286.JPG
IMG_6288.JPG

We are who we are Brother! At least we openly acknowledge it 😏.

I rushed those icons a touch on the clear MDs. Gave it 24 hours and should have given it more. Did not seem to have an adverse effect. Small bit of paint I guess.

I’m curious about rubbing across paint for a darker effect. One of the days a close up comparison would be interesting. Could it be used to add a planned visual effect of some kind? 🤔

I’m going to buy a can of that Amber translucent. If I can figure out how to do it decently I could always do em for ya! 😉

I need one more beater pair of Valve 1.0. I have left over Cerakote H-240 and H-268 and even some of the catalyst. A Coyote-OD Valve would be a sight! But I’m also little hesitant about Cerakote…heat cured ya know. The idea of a sticking a pair of sunglasses in the oven make me shudder 😜⏲️🔥

I do have a beater pair of Straight Jacket 2 and a beater Monster Dog and now beater Turbines to sacrifice to the Volcano! 🌋😱

Last edited:
Back