• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Luxottica's Oakley vs. No Oakley

I fully agree.

It just amazes me some people have no idea how much research and hours upon hours of failure to finally come up with something that didn’t fail and changes the world for some people’s vision which in return creates a better quality of life for them. I’m one of those who benefited from Oakley Prizm Rx technology and for them not giving up and pushing through unlike others.

They deserve more respect than that.
The complaint isn’t in trial and error or design material. It’s that Oakley as a brand came out with iconic frames that were unique to the name. Now you can notice trends that releases on new oakleys closely resemble new costa or ray ban etc. The clifden for example, I praised as a design and functional pair of glasses, but the rest are just run of the mill looks I could spend - 50 dollars or more to get close to the same build quality. As I said, the lenses are the only unique thing about modern Oakley. With the occasional unicorn

Been somewhat my take on it being new to the brand and learning more about their past.

The frames like my Holbrook XL are comfortable for my head, they're decent, but the frames alone aren't worth their retail price in my opinion. It's basically a markup or tax to hold the prizm lens I like which I do enjoy quite a bit. (if there was other pairs I learn about that I can just snap some Holbrook XL fitted lens right into, I'd be curious to try that). So my main focus is what lens can I get into them, or that they come with, and will least be comfortable.

I was looking at the Clifdens too, and mainly what drew me to them is that I can remove the sides and the nose area if I really want to, but still have the option if I want more blockage (or to look more like a mad scientist or something).

Right now I'm trying to decide between three basic metal ones, the Whiskers (Tungsten), Ejector (Satin Rose gold), and Savitar (Toast), the last one mainly appealing for being titanium frames, but if I do get them it'll most likely just be the Prizm Tungsten (in either polarized or not) to keep that contrast and warm 'tone' I like from my Shallow water lens.

Was looking at the Manoburn, but having felt them in store and trying them on, they didn't seem as nice (although very similar) to my Holbrook XL in just basic Matte black, so hoping the metal newer ones are decent feeling.

Would love to pick up one of the older X-Metal, just wouldn't know where to start, and most likely too rich for me. But eventually I feel like I'm going to go that route... I like vintage pens more than modern, I like vintage watches more than modern... so on.
If you need help deciding between those wire pairs let me know, I have all 3 and really like them. I can get some comparison shots too if desired.

If you need help deciding between those wire pairs let me know, I have all 3 and really like them. I can get some comparison shots too if desired.
I'd appreciate your own take on it if you can. The Savitars seem kind of nice in that they're titanium but seems like the comparison stops there. It also seems like right now (not sure if it's just the vault or online too), that it's $30 off for anything polarized, but an additional $20 off if I have the store ship it to me instead of pull from their stock.

Side-by-side would be helpful, I know when I visited the local store they all seem to fit ok. But I'm glad I could see some of them locally because the Ejector in Satin Rose Gold is a lot more 'copper' or reddish, and brighter in person than it shows on their website.

I don't want to clutter up a discussion thread on buying choices though, but I'm also not yet able to send messages (too early a member right now). You can probably find my introduction thread in the intro areas and reply to that.

Last edited:
Oakley’s ultimate goal is to please the Professional Performance Athlete.
Everyone else benefits from them, but owners of Rare Oakleys seem to have a deep love for them. Everything is worth what you think it’s worth.

Oakley’s ultimate goal is to please the Professional Performance Athlete.
Everyone else benefits from them, but owners of Rare Oakleys seem to have a deep love for them. Everything is worth what you think it’s worth.
I feel like it's also kind of a "luxury" brand in the sense that not all those who spend money on new Nike shoes and apparel are athletes.

I feel like it's also kind of a "luxury" brand in the sense that not all those who spend money on new Nike shoes and apparel are athletes.
Right, it’s all illusions in the sense not all those who spend money on a new Rolex and fly in private jets are wealthy.

We all been had at some point right🤣

There's two halves to Oakley: their performance division, and then the part that just needs to make money.

That second half is what used to come with more appealing products that have created the following as found at this forum. In some ways, yes, a real X-Metal retailing at I guess around $300 is money well spent. The material quality and craftmanship is above even a lot of today's offerings..but fact of the matter is most of the consumer base doesn't know that, or have that money. Premium eyewear is a niche thing inside of a high volume industry. Brands have to follow what rolls in money, in order for them to be able to invest in their proper specialty products.

Yes, Lux has a bazillion of dollars, but that never changes the fact there has to be a profitable business model. They have to sort out what the average person's "tastes" are, or else there's no point sustaining the brand. This isn't Jim Jannard trying to see his vision come to fruition, this is an optical merchandise powerhouse trying to push a brand for all their worthwhile.

People will buy an Apple watch over a more exquisite traditional time piece, even if they will hardly exercise the features of an Apple watch, because it's trendy. They'll buy Tesla's over other cars because that straight-line launch and electricity are characteristics that manifest as functional "buzz words" to influence their decision-making. The root of all this is the world we live in. If money isn't a problem, a lot of people in first-world society just don't want to think hard or long about anything. Whatever is signaled by society to be a good/better thing, that's where they're going like sheep. Early/mid 2000's there were a lot of people buying Jordan's without a real clue who the MF'er or basketball was.

That's not to say Apple and Tesla products are garbage, but they took the steps to be crafted with the potential consumer in-mind.

But I'm inclined to think the other half I mentioned — the performance division — is legitimate. Oakley can't exactly afford to make garbage for their athletes. Yeah, they can keep throwing money at professionals, but any proper athlete will ditch gear if it's useless to them. There's that, and Oakley is likely Luxottica's top sports brand.

I also say this with the subjective take that the products speak for themselves. I personally haven't found a recent sports product to be short of proficient. It's to the point where if I try a different product, I'm looking to change back into my Oakley pair the next day. And this isn't me being an Oakley fanboy, it's just that, whatever alt brand product I'm holding is legitimately not on par with my Jawbreaker/Sutro/Kato/Radar/Jawbone, etc.

This won't stop me from just speaking my mind when a product looks underwhelming, but Oakley is what it is to sustain itself and justify its existence. My main nitpicks are those stupid $3 increases. As someone who's more vested in their performance products, buying them at retail is mad silly. Like I really want those MVP Jawbreakers, but Lux can place boiling stew on their crotch at that price, along with all the fake "Limited" editions and "sell outs".

The new Oakley still makes good stuff, albeit they have absolutely no products that come close to the ingenuity of their flagship X-Metals. Maybe that was a once in a lifetime moment and we are lucky to have them.

In terms of the new Oakley's, if your a cyclist or runner, the Radar and Jawbreaker models are my go to shades. They stay put on my face when I'm out there, protect my eyes and don't impede my vision.

Your last paragraph is what I read from all the athletes who actually use them for what they are designed to be used for. I have rarely seen complaints from professional athletes as well.

I can honestly say I after buying my first pair of Rx and it had changed my life, I look at people when they complain about Oakley and Lux like they smoking flavored crack. Discount or no discount I’m staying with Lux and whatever direction they taking Oakley I’m on board and ready to put the pedal to the medal.

Latest Posts

Back