• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mars Orbital Clips - A Total Mystery

That's very clear Dan! I don't think I have the hands or stomach to try that. Maybe if I had real rubber-tipped tools, I'd feel a little more daring to try. Thanks for the video!

Thank you for that explanation Robert. Seeing your demo makes me even more sure that I don't want to work on my own Mars. Not everyone can be a technician. I'm pretty good with Oakley Wire frames, including bending for lens installation and wearing adjustments, but I have never felt comfortable working on X-Metals. I'm even intimidated trying to install orbital gaskets and temple washers. It's definitely a mental barrier I have to work on breaking, but for now, I will leave the X-Metal work to pros like you, @Larry, @Chet Manley, and @zwc0442, among others.
There are pro's here. But I'm far from that. I'm flattered to be mentioned with that group. Lol.

Nice. Did you do that video yourself? Super cool of you to show. I liked the very beginning when the screwdriver slipped. That is everyones worst nightmare. Slipping in the direction of the lenses. Even the tape, or my rags, might not stop a scratch if the screwdrivers tip was sharp enough. I didn't get that far in my photos, because I feel everyone can figure out the screwdriver part, if you can get the blade in between the C-clip ends. The video almost makes it look easy.

There are pro's here. But I'm far from that. I'm flattered to be mentioned with that group. Lol.

Nice. Did you do that video yourself? Super cool of you to show. I liked the very beginning when the screwdriver slipped. That is everyones worst nightmare. Slipping in the direction of the lenses. Even the tape, or my rags, might not stop a scratch if the screwdrivers tip was sharp enough. I didn't get that far in my photos, because I feel everyone can figure out the screwdriver part, if you can get the blade in between the C-clip ends. The video almost makes it look easy.
I was staining my wife's garden shed, notice stain on fingers, and thought I should make a video. So I taped up the lenses and had her video me removing clip. It only takes me just a few minutes, it is easy. I have extra clips, sometimes they fly. I've had clips that were the original OEM shatter into pieces. And yes the screwdriver does slip off if you get in a hurry and you are pushing too hard, I have jabbed the palm of my hand.

These are dead easy - there’s a ‘hack’.
robert-downey-jr-interesting.gif

Back