• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Microchip on oakleys????

I think its to help adhesion. Beyond that little square, the only contact to the frame would be the very edges of the o. That would be messy and hard to adhere properly.

I think its to help adhesion. Beyond that little square, the only contact to the frame would be the very edges of the o. That would be messy and hard to adhere properly.
Most icons I've see (and removed) are fairly solid with flat bottoms. With the factory adhesive on them the bottom actually has a contact surface equal to or larger than the top.

Most icons I've see (and removed) are fairly solid with flat bottoms. With the factory adhesive on them the bottom actually has a contact surface equal to or larger than the top.
Agreed. But in this case I think it makes sense.

Depends on how serious they are. Simple rfid chips just transmit a serial number when queried. As you said, this means they can track the glasses through the supply chain, make sure they’re not getting diverted to gray market, identify whether distributors are playing by the rules, etc.

A counterfeiter could just copy a legit tag and make thousands of the same serial, or ones that have the right format to be legit.

If they’re serious about using it for authentication, some of the chips support cryptography, so the signatures could be signed to prevent that sort of thing.
Exactly, I’m curious what kind of chip this is and which information is stored on the chip.
It could be just a simple set of lines with SKU number, batch number, date of manufacturing, etcetera that Lux uses to track Oakleys from factory to consumer.

Or these chips could indeed be encrypted so that only someone from Lux that uses a specific scanner can actually scan and decrypt the chip.
This is why I hope that someone can actually scan a chip to see what information the chip holds.
If the chip is scanned and the information comes back as unreadable than we know these chips are encrypted because Lux don’t want us to know what these chips are used for.

Does someone on this forum has access to a scanner that can scan a chip like this?

Latest Posts

Back