• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Most valuable X-Metals?

They had a separate, specialized factory in Nevada to produce x-metals. For that and several other big reasons it just wasn't cost efficient.

But, to their credit, Lux let them run for a number of years after the buyout.

All good things come to an end.

I don't give Lux credit. They'd have dumped it right away but you can't just torpedo everything at once plus the XS was already in the pipeline so they figured why not. All good things must come to an end but let's not give props to the devil

Why would oakley stop making this fabulous Style?
The style is intrinsically linked to the DNA Design (I learnt this recently and hope I am right). In order to manufacture these they hand to come up with a material that could cope with the stresses and strains they were subjected to. Enter, the X-Metal alloy! This fits their motto of "Purpose Beyond Reason" LOL.

There are many factors that influenced the decision as @RoTors aluded to. These include difficulty of working with X-Metal and aledgedly, safety. If you haven't seen the YouTube video below I recommend it (it has been posted time and time again but worth it). It summarises the complexity of working with this material and is simply awe inspiring.

My personal feeling is that if there is a will there is a way!

Ultimately, I fear their loss may have been down to cost/margins made on each pair of sunglasses.

Having said all this, since X-Metal is almost indestructible the existing sunglasses should be around for a long time with a healthy second/third/fourth/fifth.... hand market :dance2::). Also thanks to this forum (and others), a continued appreciation for awesomeness!

So if I find a pair of Juliet's without a Serial #, should that throw up a flag as to not buy? Or is that like the first Generation? I will watch the video, thank you again.

So if I find a pair of Juliet's without a Serial #, should that throw up a flag as to not buy? Or is that like the first Generation? I will watch the video, thank you again.
Depends, serialised have more following due to rarety and more collectable. However, you will find a lot more without serials, just read up and be aware of the fakes and their tell tale signs.

There is some very good advice on this forum with photos! This is a good start.

Oakley X-Metal Authenticity Checklist | Oakley Forum

They had a separate, specialized factory in Nevada to produce x-metals. For that and several other big reasons it just wasn't cost efficient.

But, to their credit, Lux let them run for a number of years after the buyout.

All good things come to an end.

Very true, in times of economic prosperity, you clearly see large companies take on projects which aren't profitable just to showcase its abilities and provide something really unique to the consumer. During times of recession and in this case a very slow economic recovery, these priorities change toward shifting large units of profitable products and services. I see this a lot in the business world and it's a pretty smart thing to do. In other words, they play it safe.

Latest Posts

Back